More on CollectiveCoin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 10, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Remember when Photobucket turned greedy and evil and left so many of us looking for an alternative?

Then along came CollectiveCoin. Free. Simple to use. Uncluttered. No ads. And coin-related, with a commission-free and easy-to-use (if seldom-noticed) platform for selling, too.

I (and many others) grew to love it.

But then the cost of maintaining the site outgrew what its founders were able to sustain, and in (2017, was it?) they were going to have to shut it down.

That was just when I was really starting to use it. I thought the Gallery feature here would be just as useful, but I was mistaken. The Gallery here is fine, but CollectiveCoin proved much more versatile for what I wanted to do.

Happily, a buyout occurred, and the demise of CollectiveCoin was averted. Do I understand correctly that it was Stacks-Bowers who acquired it? So it was saved.

I've been happily using the site in the years since. And I still like it. But in the last year or so, I have noticed that the response time, especially on the initial click-in from outside, has become slower and slower. I have had unsuspecting people click a link to CollectiveCoin, only to receive a blank white page, and they gave up before the page ever loaded, though all that time it was trying to.

Do me a favor. Click this link to my collection and tell me how long the page takes to load for you. Usually it is five full seconds for me these days, though this afternoon I had an eight-second hangtime on one occasion and there were three times when I just had to gave up. Refreshing the page didn't help.

Their servers must be overburdened, I guess. I like the site enough that I would pay a small fee to continue using it, but now I'm wondering about alternatives. If there are any. The PCGS and NGC Registries? Not ideal. FORVM Ancient Coins' galleries? Ditto. Useful, but not ideal. Build a website? I haven't the first idea how to do that, and even the supposedly "simple" make-your-own, template sites are completely bewildering and irritating to me.

So, where to migrate the collection to now?

CollectiveCoin was the perfect replacement to Photobucket. But what's going to replace CollectiveCoin?

I hope it can be fixed.

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

I just tested that link and got another 8-9-second hangtime. If CollectiveCoin wasn't such a great free site, that would be unacceptable. As it is, it's got me thinking of where to go next.

@Stork - @dwhiz - any ideas or clues? Are y'all having the same issues?

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

On my end, it took me 20 Seconds to load without refreshing the page.

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

16 seconds to start loading. Another 4-5 to load all of the images.

I am in the same boat. I have a domain name that I own and the start of the web site but got completely frustrated. It would be nice if there was a class I could take to get me through the initial startup.

6. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

It took 15 seconds to download for me.

7. lordmarcovan

Yikes.

It might be time to make sure I have at least my primary collection backed up and uploaded somewhere else. Most of it already is. I hope CC doesn't become unusable, but its beginning to travel in that direction.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

It took 22 second, approximately, but then with lots of people still working from home, my load time has been dismally slow, especially today for some reason.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Just loaded the Home page and it only took 4 seconds. Lots of images take a lot of time to load.

10. lordmarcovan

I suppose that could be part of the problem. But the long hangtimes began pre-coronavirus.

11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Could it possibly be something to do with your internet provider?

12. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Took 25 seconds to load and another minute for the images to load. I've had the same thought. I love the look of the @TIF collection site and also @AncientJoe
    I've thought of doing a site too so I dont have to worry about losing the content and data so much, but I'm not sure of the costs. Although, i do have a friend who builds websites.

13. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Same with my link. If I click on a link that takes me directly to my page( see below) it takes a while to load. If I click on link to main (log on ) page it is much quicker. But then I have to log on and that adds time. It has always been a little slow. My guess is the servers are slow.

14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

2 seconds for the page and a further 24 seconds for the images to appear

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have very reliable high speed internet. The header and footer of your page loaded in a second but nothing else appeared. After 60 seconds I gave up and hit refresh; still nothing but the header and footer. Eventually I went back to the tab and your coins had loaded.

Thanks! I use Wix-- very easy to use. However, I do pay extra for a few features such as my own domain and search. Also, I haven't updated the site in ~3 years :oops:.

I had constructed the picture galleries in a manner that turned out to be cumbersome once a lot of coins were there. One of these days I'd like to revamp the whole thing... I suppose that will mean a lot of dead links unless I leave the old pages intact but hidden. Is that how people prevent dead links when reworking a website?

16. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

It's a nice site, I'll have to look into it.

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My login and display of my coins happened almost instantly. I can't recall a problem with slow loading anytime recently. I have Verizon Fios, but have not upgraded to the fastest version.

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

It took me about 2 seconds to get the page to open up with no images and about 28 seconds for the images to start to load in.

19. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

24 seconds, just now

20. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

18 secs on a screaming 125MB/s wifi

21. lordmarcovan

Nope. Same issues on a T-1 connection when I was at work. And you can see the other replies here.

@TIF, I love your site, and I looked at Wix (I also liked the name because the first site I metal detected at in England was Wix Abbey). But even with these supposedly simpler site-building platforms, I quickly become bewildered and frustrated. It's just like with most of the coin photography threads. I'm all like, "ooh, I wanna be able to do that!", and I'm able to follow along for a little while, but it isn't long before I become completely overwhelmed and confused, and then that whiny "man, I'll NEVER be able to do this!" voice in my head starts up again.

This is why I sold the camera and complete coin photography setup I bought a few years ago. I knew the equipment was just fine, and I took a few passable photos with it, but it was all just too complex for me. The cellphone in my pocket remains my go-to camera, and now I just rely on professional photographers to do my better coins (or buy them based on pre-existing quality photos).

But I digress. It looks like I'm gonna need to come up with a different display solution for my coins soon, because the issues y'all reported with page loads on CollectiveCoin are simply unacceptable, even though it was and is an otherwise very nice free site with no ads.

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted