More of a current purchase of a lot of ancients, Feel free to Identify .

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Smittys, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Smittys

Smittys Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie, but #3 is a Roman Imperial coin. See Doug Smith's write-up on them here. Perhaps Drusus?

But then again, you probably already knew that much...

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool looking OP-additions ... congrats, Smittys

=> I also like your 3rd example (it's a sweet coin)

5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The last one is Valens, with Victory on reverse. I think.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Smittys likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sometimes I fear we take too much of the fun away from our new collectors by giving away the answers that they should be able to find themselves with a little work.

A hint: When trying to ID an Alexandrian tet like the first in this batch, look at the date (L S). If the coin is year six, you can rule out emperors who were not around that long. If a coin is year 15, the job is pretty well done before you start. Of course L A (year one) is not such a good clue but there are a few instances where a young ruler used his father's dates so he has no year one coins. For example all Volusians are year three. Hints are not absolute laws; you still have to work at it a little bit.

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I agree with what Doug said! My first twelve were hard for me but easier than yours. Just try your best, post your results, and the forum can tell you if you're on the right track! It's a great way to "play" with your coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted