More news on coin shortage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

This article posted in Numismatic News. https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/behind-the-circulating-coin-shortage
    When I made my infrequent trip to town last week, I was chatting with one of the managers of my local Safeway about coins, as they just rounded up my refund on an item to $8.00 from $7.59. It seems that their store manager has requested $1,000.00 in change from the bank they do business with and only received $200.00 worth.
    My friend lamented that they have to fill the coin change dispensers at each cash register daily and could no longer do it. I offered all of the rolled change I had with me in my car and they hungrily accepted it. I promised I would bring them more, as I have around $300.00 rolled in change from the coins I have gone through. I was going to dump them at my bank, but they are closed (lobby) now, so this was a good opportunity to get rid of my unneeded change. Maybe others here can do the same?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Very good idea. Thanks.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I dumped $22 in nickels and $6 Pennies at my local speedy mart.....and my bank wants all the quarters I can spare......had $80 in the car w/me so sold them to the bank.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The good will goes a long way. Too bad they don't offer some type of incentives for us doing that.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just unloaded $100 in (customer-wrapped) rolls of UNC 2006 P&D nickels at my BoA. I have another $500 in Westward Journey CW nickel rolls, but they're too heavy to carry all at the same time. ~ Chris

Inspector43 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am afraid this nuisance will be with us a while. I have boxes of bicentennial quarters I have been tossing aside for thirty years just out of habit. I’ll do my good deed and roll them up for the cause.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There is no shortage of coins. There is a supply problem but not a shortage. Just wait until everyone dumps their coins and the supply problem has been fixed.

NSP, green18, micbraun and 1 other person like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The supply problem is because everyone is hoarding them.

I can't figure out why, but I have suspicions:

1. They suspect coins might be contaminated and spread the plague.
    2. Nobody is spending money (or, people are buying many few less things), and so cash is not trading as well.
    3. People are hoarding what they consider "hard money" in case the economy collapses. These poor fools just have no idea....

Collecting Nut likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

It’s funny you say that. Each Friday I withdraw $100.00 for weekend spending money. I haven’t done my regular Friday withdrawal for quite some time now and still have cash in my wallet. Most folks that I trade with daily want me to use my card. I bet you are correct and cash isn’t being hoarded so much as folks find it more troublesome to use than a card is.

-jeffB likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No they don't....... rofl.gif

12. green18

Goober contrievence.......they want us to use our 'cards' so they can keep better track of our spending. devil.gif

tibor and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. green18

Heck, they sent me a 'stimulus' thingo in the form of a debit card.

14. physics-fan3.14

Its a heckuvalot easier to keep track of us when we use our cards.....

hence the coin shortage, greeno.

No goobering here.

15. Randy Abercrombie

That’s why I never leave home without my aluminum foil hat!

green18, Indianhead65 and tibor like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

Ah, I'm considered one 'o those rich-folk enemies, so I didn't get one.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

People are afraid to use coins due to the virus. They never heard of hand washing. They probably didn't use soap when mom said to wash your hands.

People in the supply chain are not working due to the virus.

Businesses are not back to normal.

These are a few reason why we have a problem with coins and a lack there of. Still, in my area there isn't any problem at the present time.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Of course, if everyone waits for everyone else to dump their coins...

I don't think anybody's saying that the coins have disappeared, just that they aren't showing up where they're needed.

19. Beardigger

Never even thought about not handling coins because of Covid.

20. Beardigger

If my bank with the coin machine would open the lobby for people to use it, I would be first in line with about $2000.00 worth to dump. They won't though. I can go in to apply for a loan, but not dump coins.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If everyone was using cards then there would be plenty of coins available to fill orders for business.

Once again if everyone was afraid of using coins, then there would be plenty of coins available for the businesses.

The problem is it is difficult for people to return their coins back to the banks because so many of them had their lobbies closed for a long time. Returning coins through a drive through window is difficult and through pneumatic tubes at drive throughs is impossible. So change was received through commerce and stashed when they get home and it stayed there.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted