More Missing Coins to Come?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mat, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

These are the days of "instant gratification". I want it now. I grew up in a time of patience. The SASE (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope) days. We were quite satisfied to wait a few days for an order to come in. Most of us have been collecting for many years and if a coin we want will get here in a week or a day what difference does it make? If you've been collecting for 30 years, then it took you 30 years and 3 weeks to get that coin. I think the USPS needs to fine tune their costs and we need to have the patience to participate.

fretboard likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Only the post office could lose a ton of money when online ordering has skyrocketed.

Maybe one day they will figure out they could make a ton of money on insurance if they had reasonable rates or dropped the price a lot. They don't lose that many packages but they do miss out on a ton of money from people seeing the price and saying nope

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Yes. I don't sell on line anymore. I can't sell a coin for $2 and charge $1.50 for postage. I can't do it with free shipping either. I can't sell a proof set and ship it in a padded envelope unless I charge several $ more for shipping. I have so much accumulated over the past 70 plus years just sitting in boxes.

6. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I agree with the prohibitive cost of shipping for small dollar items. I've gotten to the point where I will only sell lots that are large enough costwise to ship flat rate Priority Mail.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I sell and buy online. From a buyer's standpoint, I realize the shipping issue and am willing to pay the additional expense for the shipping if it is a coin I want. If it is a lot of silver, for example, I calculate the shipping into the cost and decide whether I want to pay that. Just part of doing business. As a seller, I get a lot of folks that don't want to pay the additional expense for the coins I have to sell which sucks so I have to add it to the price and offer free shipping (a mental thing). Either case sucks because I'm sure some of you out there have things I want (really bad in some cases) but won't sell because of that issue. Hurting us all the way around.

Beefer518 and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted