More Leu wins, Common but Fun Romans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit after the fact, but did anyone feel like bidding on the last Leu auction was a bit light? No complaints here as I managed to snag three upgrades and fill one hole!

Hole filler - Augustus posthumous issue

DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER, Radiate head right
    S-C/PROVIDENT, Altar
    RIC 81
    Struck under Tiberius, AD 22-30
    Divus Augustus dupondius by Tiberius.jpg

This one wasn't exactly cheap, but being just a smidge off center knocked probably 75% off the value, compared to other comparable pieces.

Upgrade 1
    Marcus Agrippa AE As
    M AGRIPPA L F COS III, Bare head right
    S-C, Neptune standing left, holding dolphin and trident
    Struck under Caligula
    Marcus Agrippa as Neptune by caligula.jpg

Replacing:
    Agrippa ae as neptune.jpg

This is a coin type that is quite affordable if corroded, but shoots from $75-100 at VF with corrosion to $500+ for coins without corrosion. My new add I feel is at the sweet spot just before the price curve goes exponential - incidentally, I think I paid the same price for both of my examples.

Upgrade 2
    Domitian AR DeMarcus
    IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XII, Laureate head right
    IMP XXII COS XVI CENS P P P, Minerva striding right, owl at feet.
    Domitian denarius Minerva 92 AD.jpg

Replacing:
    Domitian denarius minerva.jpg

I bought the old Domitian as one of my first purchases after I decided to get serious to try to collect all the emperors, but back then I wanted a great portrait and nothing else. I had since upgraded most of my coins, and the weak reverse strike and not-round flan just didn't "fit" anymore.

Upgrade 3
    Aelia Flaccilla AE2
    AEL FLAC-CILLA AVG, Diademed mantled bust right
    SALVS REI-PVBLICAE / SMHA, Victory seated, inscribing chi-rho onto shield set on podium
    Aelia Flacilla AE2 victory heraclea.jpg

Replacing:
    Aelia flaccilla salvs reipvblicae.jpg

Not so much of an upgrade per se, but I have found that coins with the glossy black patina are nearly impossible to see in my binder without removing them to catch the light just right. For this one I will honestly probably keep both, to have one of each reverse.

As always, relevant coins or comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats, very nice coins Finn, mine could use an upgrade too:

Augustus Providentbb.jpg Agrippa neptune.jpg P1160728b (2).jpg

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Excellent upgrades Finn235, that Agrippa portrait is fantastic.

Finn235 likes this.
  5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I am still kicking myself for missing the Saturday section Steve, I had a couple in my sights but got sidetracked and missed them both.
    Bidding, as you pointed out was not strong on either which surprised me.
    Sunday only had the 1 coin I wanted and I was lucky enough to get it for less than expected, not sure what the reasons were.
    Nice pick ups & upgrades.

Finn235 likes this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I don't seem to have received any email notifications of the sale. Maybe they skimped on their advertising this time... much to your advantage! Those are four very sweet coins!

Finn235 likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

This was an e-sale, so no overly fancy catalog in the mail, although the sale was pretty heavily advertised on Biddr - about a third of the slots in the "featured" rotation were for this auction for a couple weeks before the sale.

I put in a lot of middling bids, although this is the one I really wish I had actually gone for:

https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/20/581

IMO it sold for probably 1/2 of what it should have.

tenbobbit likes this.
  8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, we are talking about the Feb 22 auction, unless I too have missed 1 since.
    @Finn235, how strange that you post the " type " I missed o_O
    [​IMG]
    I wanted 1 with the snake reverse, this was the only offering and sold for 150sf :banghead:

9. Severus Alexander

Oh! In that case I can happily report some successes too, plus one that got away.

01246q00.jpg
    Commodus, Marcianopolis, 25mm 7.57g. I have a Three Graces type of Gordian III, and I think of this as an upgrade to that coin. (It's darker and more pleasant in hand.)

02498q00.jpg
    Most here won't get too excited by this coin, but I was pleased to get it at a good price. It's a scarce Tahirid revolt coin (issued AH 206 = 821-22). It cites Tahir I ibn al-Husayn as "Dhu'l-Yaminayn" which means "possessor of two right hands." What this is supposed to mean I'm not entirely sure!

02506q00.jpg
    This is a Zengid fals of al-Malik al-Salih Isma'il issued c. 1173-1181. I find it amazing that 4th-5th century Roman bronzes were used as a model for coinage nearly eight centuries later!

Here's the one that got away:
    [​IMG]
    https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/20/1563

It's not listed as such, but I'm pretty sure it's a 68/1b, with the "Bastianelli spike" recently described by @red_spork. Moreover it has the second cape, on the front Dioscurus - according to @Fugio1 this is only found on a few specimens of 68/1b.

I was the underbidder. I wonder if red_spork or Fugio1 picked it up! (Actually I felt a bit guilty not giving them a heads-up about it... but I elected to have a go at it myself & try to get it cheap. :shy:)

Overall I wouldn't say I found the prices all that low. (Maybe by the standards of the usual Leu auction.)

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I didn't win this one but I did see it. I've been taking a little bit of a break to focus on other hobbies. It's a great example but fugio1 has one of the best I've ever seen of 68/1b so I doubt he bought it but his doesn't have that second cape so it's definitely possible.

rrdenarius and Severus Alexander like this.
  11. Severus Alexander

OK, phew, thanks for relieving my lingering feelings of guilt! I wonder if the person who bought this knows what it is.

12. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I didn't bid on the RRC 68/1b because I already have an example, albeit without the extra cape: 68-1b.jpg
    I'm saving my funds for a 68/1a with corn ear symbol which is considerably more scarce. I haven't seen one offered for years.

13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I made a couple half-hearted bids. No surprise that I won zero of them.

14. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I bought the only one I've ever seen offered. Not the greatest coin but you take what you can get with rarities like this. I finally got around to actually photographing it lately so I don't have to share the dealer's photo anymore:
    cr068.1a-reshoot-1200.jpg

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I was the successful bidder on a sestertius of Faustina I with a veiled bust and on a SALVS antoninianus of Trebonianus Gallus.

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Providentia globe and scepter Sestertius veiled bust.jpg
    Trebonianus Gallus SALVS AVGG Rome antoninianus.jpg

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Congrats to all.
    SA, I am a big fan of
    A few years ago, I asked a dealer if I could take a photo of his 3 Graces oil lamp. He reluctantly said yes. I will try to find the pic. IMG_E2550.JPG

17. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Your corn ear symbol RRC 68 IS a great coin. Some wear, but otherwise, near perfect example.

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted