More Korean fun coins from 1890s - yes they are fun to collect

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I have been hunting these for years and managed to find them with pure dumb luck. Except they did go out of budget but I know very well that if I miss these, I'll probably find them many many years later at a ridicious price.

First up is a 1 fun coin dated 1893

[​IMG]

This is definitely a lot nicer than a banged up coin that I had for years...

[​IMG]

It only took a remarkable four years to find a better one - shows how difficult it is.

Second is another fun coin dated 1895. This is the variety with 2 characters instead of 3 characters, i.e. Korea instead of Great Korea - before the words "1 Fun".

[​IMG]

A much better upgrade compared to this:

[​IMG]

Also took a few years to hunt it down.

Finally this was a coin that I missed out more than seven years ago and regretted not getting it.

1893 5 fun - large font variety

[​IMG]

While it doesn't look too special, the majority of 5 fun coins struck in this year are actually the small font variety. This is an example:

[​IMG]

I can assure you that this coin is VERY difficult to find. Good reason why I couldn't locate an example for seven years. Even the rarest key date 1899 5 fun was available for sale for some obsence figure. Not sure what the catalog value is but I just pounced on it as soon as I saw it for sale.

And finally one of the best 5 fun coin that I have with a neat die crack - dated 1896. This particular year had three different varieties.

[​IMG]

Not too sure if this did interest you but I found it "fun" to hunt these down. May the fun to hunt the other coins begin

I'll finish up compiling an album version of early Korean coins - looks pretty neat but the rest of the holes will be pretty much impossible to fill.

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

there's nothing like finding coins you hunted for for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted