More Identification help...Roman, Spanish...and ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nightowl, Nov 29, 2009.

1. nightowl

nightowl Member

Here are a few other pieces from the collection I bought this morning.

I am clueless. The obvious question is why would you buy the stuff if you know nothing about it. The obvious answer....I didn't allow much for it.

Basically, if there is some real value here, I will further remunerate the person I bought them from.

Nightowl

Attached Files:

• LOT.JPG
      LOT.JPG
      File size:
      223.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Byzantine Justin II and Sophia 40 nummi Constantinople mint year 7 (572 AD)

Roman sestertius Severus Alexander Victory reverse

The jewelry mount is some sort of early modern Spanish cob about which I know nothing (if genuine, ID or value).

Condition is everything and the flan flaw on the sestertius would be a big detraction to what could have been a decent coin (maybe half off - $50-75 without it?). The Byzantine type is never pretty but this is less than many and common. You won't get rich selling them.

4. nightowl

nightowl Member

and equally importantly....I won't have gone broke either. I need to take pictures of the others. More than likely they're commons too, but I don't even have passing knowledge of this kind of material.

I bought and paid a fair price for the US stuff....and got a gaggle of odd stuff thrown in. There's even a couple pieces of currency from the 1770s that survived "The Great Waynesburg Fire", which is apparently a local event of which I have no knowledge.

That's the fun of collecting.....it's always an adventure. There's always something to learn.

Thanks......Nightowl

Draft saved Draft deleted