More from the Beaded Border Classic Head Counterfeits at EAC 2022

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, May 18, 2022.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

At the 2022 EAC Convention in St. Louis I had a table with 2 cases of my "educational" coins for display and discussion.

display case 1 updated.jpg
    display case 2.jpg
    One of the examples was my 1812 large cent counterfeit, a member of a "family" of fakes I wrote about in this forum and had an article published by Coin Week.

1812 combo.jpg

Late Saturday a gentleman came by with 2 examples he asked I review; they were from a collection of coins he was assisting to sell and both had been marked as "electrotypes".

electros.jpg

He said he was showing them around to dealers there and suggested he bring them to me, but was told I just focused on counterfeits, not electros:D...

Anyway, I was initially surprised by the surfaces of both, as there was light luster on both which my images don't show, but the surfaces were better than others I had seen.

The next thing I noticed was the exact "beaded border" obverse appearance as all seen, and the "chip" in front of the face as well.

1813.jpg

1814.jpg
    Inspecting the edges there was no trace of a seam, but both were very squared off/ flat, and the rims sharp enough to practically shave with.

So I showed and explained these elements and pulled my example from the case for comparison.

He thanked me and said he had a couple of others he wanted to show them to, but came back later to take images of his and mine together. He then donated them to the growing teaching collection!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Any explanation as to why they were labeled electrotype? Did the owner recognize they were counterfeit and assumed electrotype? It sounds like you never met the owner, just the assistant. Cool but a bit scary story, thanks for sharing. Scary because these are getting too good for regular folks like me to detect.

Marsden and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. Jack D. Young

Unfortunately no @LakeEffect although both weigh heavy at 11.9 grams while the 1812 weighs 10.6.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Gotta say they’re good. But all together I see too many telltale signs. Another to open my eyes too thanks

Jack D. Young likes this.
  6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I notice they all have a mole under the chin at the neck too.

7. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Agreed. Using the cui bono principle, I now suspect the TPGs of flooding the market with fakes!

8. Jack D. Young

Yes, not as pronounced on every one I have imaged but definitely something there in various degrees.

9. Jack D. Young

Other donations from EAC '22 to the Dark Side...

haul.jpg

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

You have provided a great service to that gentleman, as well as other collectors. Thank you for your work.

Tall Paul and Jack D. Young like this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Jack, I saw a picture of you receiving the award. I didn't recognize you with the beard. Looks good - fit for a professor.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Possibly because of the flat square edges. The original coins were struck with and open collar and the edges are rounded, but most electros I've seen of the early coins have flat edges.

LakeEffect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted