More Fake Yellow $2's

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by funkee, May 10, 2014.

1. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

yellow2.JPG
    I used to see people overpaying on eBay for these damn things, and chuckled a little. But... this is getting ridiculous. I've seen a recent influx of AU/CU notes. It used to be that only lower grade notes received the chemical peel treatment.

The note pictured sold for $202.50! Someone turned a profit of nearly $200 on some poor sucker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351063886919

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm new to paper and don't know what the chemical peel process is. Mind explaining?

4. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

That one person wanted it pretty bad. Unfortunetly looks are deceiving.

5. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Is there such a variety in the catalog (and this is a fake) OR is it purely a fantasy, nothing similar ever produced by BEP?

6. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

only $2 bills I have are the ones my grandma would give me when I was a young lad. I don't see the point in spending that much money on these bills. most are worth face value

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The BEP never produced a yellow seal $2.00 note.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

And that's the key right there...all these "yellow seal" eBay notes are a scam. It's really sad.

On this bill...you are right. However, there are some $2 notes that carry some value. It's just like coins...the "average person" might not see value there while collectors do.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

10. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

It had to be at least two people willing to pay $200.

The chemical peel comment was a bit of a joke. But these notes area soaked in an acid. I'll leave out the name to prevent more people from getting into this practice. This acid reacts with red inks, which makes them turn orange or yellow depending on the soak time. It reacts less with green inks, even less with blue and black. Sometimes the green ink on the back will take on a blueish hue.

It's the same chemical used by note doctorers to process notes and make them appear higher grade. You can often identify them by the faded color of red inks.

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info funkee! Like I said, I'm new to paper, so I have a lot of learning to do (not that I don't have more to learn about coins either).

12. fretboard

Good for whoever told Ebay on those rats!! At least some of them are gone! See, we the people need to keep feebay clean. graphics-cowboy-179025.gif It destroys the hobby when idiots destroy and sell bills like that. Now knock it off crooked sellers!! :D

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I found these upon clicking on "Browse Related" for yellow seal notes from the above link:

On a five http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928F-Five-...-Yellow-Seal-Numbers-RARE-ERROR-/121336226147

Here's one where the validity of this "North African Star Note" seems questionable:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935A-Yellow-Seal-1-Silver-certificate-North-African-STAR-note-/261471976031 Look at the color of the seal. Does anyone have a link which lists valid serials for North African notes?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

That North Africa note falls into the known range. Plus it's hard to imagine how one can turn blue into yellow.

15. fretboard

Two is nothing compared to how many there were before. Took those crooks down. Thief.gif :D

16. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Here's an eBay message chain with the loony seller from that listing. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking he was reselling them without the knowledge they were fake.

His paranoid self compared me to his neighborhood watch drug dealer trying to get rid of the competition, and threatened to report me to eBay. It must be the dementia.

Enjoy the read! My name has been blocked out for some anonymity.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Mailman1, Endeavor, Troodon and 3 others like this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Looks like you didn't make friends.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

Clearly, this guy has an idea that what he is doing is wrong. He's sinking to threats in and insults because he has no recourse.

Endeavor and Jwt708 like this.
  19. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The threads remain red because they are silk fibers and not inked like the numbers are.

Jwt708 likes this.
  20. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I bought some coins from that guy a while back. At least those were OK.

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya...like...plausible deniability.

Draft saved Draft deleted