More eBay Questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I placed a bid on a coin from eBay earlier.

The instant I submitted the bid, I got a message that says I was outbid.

There's no way a human being could have responded that quickly.

I've never bid on an auction item from eBay, I usually look for Buy it Now sales.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinup

coinup Junior Member

People place their highest amount regardless of what the current bid is ie current bid 20.00/max bid 40.00....then when someone else bids ie 21.00 it automatically goes to the next highest bid ie 22.00 and so on...make sense?
    Maybe?

4. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

When you place a bid on ebay, you submit your highest price, and the system automatically bids in increments (not like a regular auction, where you commit to a bid level). It looks like someone had already submitted a bid higher than your highest, and the system outbid you.

Mkm5 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Quite probably, a previous bidder (B) placed a higher bid than you (C), but it wasn't necessary to reveal B's max bid as long as he bid more than bidder (A) who posted before him. Once you placed your bid (C), the minimum increase kicked in automatically for (B).

Have I totally confused you?

6. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Not sure how to enter that kind of bid with a current/max.

It appears I only have the option for a one time bid, no max?

7. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I think I understand what you're saying, but why wouldn't it just default to the highest bid in the first place, rather than increments?

8. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Sure you can. Just bid what you think is a fair price. If it's the current winning bid cool - if not then it's up to you how much you want to pay.
    When I used to play on eBay I would place the max bid I thought was fair and if I won great, if not great. I rarely got into a bidding war just because unless I wanted the item bad enough...

9. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Yep!!

10. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

The highest bid at the time was $33. Why would you bid more than the highest bid if that price doesn't become the most current bid?

11. cpm9ball

You can bid as often as you want. If you get outbid, bid again!

12. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

So if I place a bid for $10,000,000 on a $33 current bid, it only goes up to $34?!

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. coinup

coinup Junior Member

That's up to you. If you only want to pay 33.00 and the system bumps you out because of another higher bidder you have to decide to keep playing or just drop out. The most current bid will be the highest bid...not the latest bid.

14. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

That could get dangerous!

15. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Yep. If that's the increment that's been set....

16. cpm9ball

The person whose bid registered as $33 may have placed a bid of $50.

17. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is that completely non-sensical?

18. cpm9ball

Yes, it can, if you are, what I refer to as a bidiot.

Personally, I never bothered with all the bidding BS. I placed my max bid through a sniping service and left it to them to enter my bid at the last moment. If someone outbid me before the auction ended, the sniping service would notify me and I had to decide whether or not I wanted to change my max bid.

Mkm5 likes this.
  19. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Not at all. Say I want a coin and am willing to pay 100.00 for it. The current bid may be 25.00, I bid 100.00 - the current bid will still show 25.00 and has to be beat by someone willing to pay 101.00...and so on...
    You may come along and bid 30.00...now mine automatically goes to 31.00...etc etc etc until you bid 101.00. Then I have the option to get into a bidding war or drop out and you may win at 101.00.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

When in Rome.......

21. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Apparently!

Draft saved Draft deleted