More Byzantine Debasement

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Mar 22, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

In my quest to obtain all the different denominations of Byzantine coinage I came across this fun little 6 nummi struck during the reign of Heraclius. For $11.50 I couldn't say no!

What makes this even more interesting (to me at least) is that you can see the original host coin underneath.

I am fairly certain that the host coin was a 12 nummi of either Maurice Tiberius or Justin II. The side with the cross you can just make out a right facing bust which doesn't help too much. And on the reverse, there is part of an "I" on the outer edge with ample room for a "B" next to it along with what looks like the curvy top part of a "B".

Since the 6 nummi of Heraclius was minted in Alexandria, it would lead me to believe that the host coin was also struck in Alexandria - though obviously that is just a guess at this point.

What do you all think? (Yes I know I flipped my obverse/reverse pictures)
    Heraclius, 6 Nummi, Alexandria.png
    Heraclius
    AE 6 Nummi
    610-641 AD
    Alexandria
    Obverse: dd M hERACLS around cross potent on one or two steps, sometimes with globes on ends of arms
    Reverse: Large S
    16mm/2.93g

I don't have a Maurice Tiberius 12 nummi but here is my Justin II 12 nummi from Alexandria for reference.
    Justin II,  12 Nummi, Alexandria.png

Lastly, let's see some of your debased Byzantine coins! Thanks for looking!

Edessa, ominus1, svessien and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, now you're got me wanting to see some hints of border inscription along with the portrait. Hmmm.... Sorry, I'm really challenged for pics of the Byzantine I do have ...other than what I've posted three times apiece already, and most of that Comnenan.

4. furryfrog02

There def is inscription but I'm not sure if that is from the original coin or from the 6 nummi legend.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

...Oh. Didn't think of that. Subdued chuckling ensues.
    ...I do like overstriking on Byzantine AE, along with the people who are more into it than I am.

6. furryfrog02

Byzantines were recycling way before it was cool :)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

8. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

This should help, but of course, the sides are reversed. There is definitely an inscription, but it is part of the end, which is similar to both reigns...

upload_2022-3-22_20-33-0.png

Edessa, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  9. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Neat. I think I still have a relatively nice six nummi. To be honest, the only 12 I have is one of the enigmatic 'Phocas' light weight imitative issues.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted