More Bargain Bin Picks from Frank Robinson

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I purchased three coins from Franks Bargain Bin sight unseen, and basing my selection solely on Frank's description and grade. Although all three arrived in the same envelope, one was snapped into two pieces. Of course, Frank refunded the cost of that coin and told me to keep the halves. Perhaps I should try gluing it together, but that's for another time.

This may have been a much nicer coin, but the break seems to have also affected the patina (or maybe that's the way it was before the break). Frank had it graded as VF/F
    Julia Domna 8.jpg
    JULIA DOMNA
    Limes Denarius
    OBVERSE: IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right
    REVERSE: VENERI VICTR, Venus standing right, naked to waist, leaning on column to left, holding palm and apple
    Struck at Rome, 194 AD
    2.8g, 17mm
    RIC 536

Number two seems about right for the grade which Frank gave, F+ Caracalla 11.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: M AVR ANTON CAES PONTIF, draped bust right
    REVERSE: IMPERII FELICITAS, Felicatas standing left, holding caduceus and child on left arm
    Struck at Rome, 196-8 AD
    3.2g, 16mm
    RIC 9, RSC 95, BMC 199

And the last I wanted because of Steve (little brother has an unusual fetish for animal coins). Frank's grade on this one was F+/F and is also about right. It's not pretty, but the humped bull is decent.
    Lydia Tralleis 2.jpg
    TRALLES, LYDIA CITY COINAGE
    AE14
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus
    REVERSE: TΡAΛΛIANΩN, humped bull walking left, head facing, ΩΡΠΛT monogram in left field
    Struck at Tralles 200-1 BC
    3.1g, 16 mm
    BMC 63; SNG Munich 702; SNG Tuebingen 3866-3867

All in all, I got what I paid for and am pleased overall. After all, they are bargain bin coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Shame about the Domna & the Caracalla I was debating on too but didn't bother due to $. The Lydia is a nice coin too.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats on your three new adoptions ... the young Caracalla is pretty sweet, but the bull is my favourite of the bunch

5. Bing

I bought the bull with you in mind little brother.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ouch.

I do like the young Caracalla. Still fresh-faced there. The scowl of the later tyrant is not to be seen yet.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do we have an urge to buy coins Steve would like so we can be cool like him or is it just an attempt to keep up with the X6's? I bought three bullcoins from Frank's regular sale that Steve might like. I bought them anyway. Do you think Santa might bring one to him for Christmas? No chance, Santa does not go that far North. It's pretty bad when you are North of the North Pole, eh?

What color is the inside of the Domna. A Limes AE should not break that easily. I wonder if it was a base silver with severe crystallization to start with.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Theodosius like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That may be a F+ but that coin is usually pretty awful so this one was not appropriate for a junk lot. I don't have one (thought I did but guess I was wrong, again).

9. Bing

I seem to be in the same galley as you anymore.

No, not generally. But sometimes I see coins here that I would like to have, Steve's included. Besides, Steve is like the Fonz. No one can be that cool (especially me).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I like that denarius too

11. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Good picturing makes them vf congrats my coin friend

my bin bargain from him.
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian Dichalkon 135-36 AD Caduceus 269 P Hadrian 1173 Emmett.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    stevex6, dlhill132, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool bin purchases guys!!! I'm going to have to visit 'Franks' site......

I grabbed an alleged 'limes' of Diadumenian (FAC):
    diadumenian.JPG limes denarius rome mint.jpg

stevex6, dlhill132, Ajax and 9 others like this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh man, to bad about julia...we want to see the crack on that coin...but not that much.

caracalla is nice indeed....cool portrait.

the greek is pretty neat as well, when i saw that humped bull "indo-greek' just popped in my head instead of ...."regular greek".

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

The broken coin is disturbing! Do you think it was weakened by internal crystallization!

15. Bing

Most likely or so it appears.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

fsr_fpl_122.jpg
    I picked up five coins from the bargain bin fixed price list, including this Roman Republican denarius.

(Fourree in imitation of) L. Memmius Galena, 109 BC, 2.60g. FSR FPL Nov '16 #122

I couldn't pass this up; it is my first *serrate* fourree. I thought you folks might like to see how they managed that so I have included a shot of the rim.

Bing: consider posting pictures of the edge of the broken coin. I have looked at the insides of many broken Greek silver pieces but I have never had a chance to see the inside of a limes denarius.

Mikey Zee, stevex6, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  17. Bing

I will try to get an image tonight and post later.

18. Bing

Now that you asked for an image of the inside of this coin, I'm not so sure of the "Limes" label. It looks pure silver to me. What do you think? Forgive the out of focus image.

[​IMG]
    PC040003a.JPG

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Silver with a very hard life including crystals and the post office. I suspect many Limes labels are on similar coins but we don't always have to see the inside.

Mikey Zee, Okidoki and red_spork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted