More bang for your buck!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, May 6, 2020.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Everyone likes a good deal, right? Here's one I acquired for for a buck plus $4.50 shipping. The sellers pictures were taken with coin in it's flip and barely discernible.

alex2.jpg Egypt, Alexandria. AE34 Drachm
    Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: Sarapis and Hadrian standing facing each other within distyle temple containing a small shrine inscribed AΔΡ-IAN-ON in three lines; L-IZ (date) across field.

Not the greatest condition but, Hey I'd buy that for a buck!

Share your coins where you definitely did not overpay.

randygeki, Ryro, thejewk and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Great find, I just wish I would have noticed it first! These Alexandrian drachms (or hemidrachms as some call them) are great coins and usually have a lot of wear. The ones without wear get expensive fast (even worn ones can be expensive too!)

Here’s my recent Trajan drachm that cost a bit more because I wasn’t the only one to notice it.
    C0C67230-D517-4D7A-84CD-221668DBFF15.jpeg
    Trajan, AE Hemidrachm, of Alexandria. Year 15, 111-112 AD.
    Obv: AVT TRAIAN CEB GERM DAKIK, laureate and draped bust right.
    Rev: Sarapis standing left, holding sceptre within distyle temple, stele at his feet. Date LI-E across fields.
    Köln 590; Milne 670; Emmett 581.

I managed to snag a lot of super worn Alexandrian diobols and obols for cheap recently too. The lot had some (worn, ugly but interesting and beautiful to me) surprises I’ll post later.

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Just like you I love a bargain, 13 Euro Hadrian. Temple of Artemis.jpg
    IONIA, Ephesus. Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ (23mm, 10.25 g, 6h). Laureate head right / Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia within tetrastyle temple.Obv. ΑΥT ΚΑΙ ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС СΕ Laureate head right Rev: ΕΦΕ-СΙΩΝ tetrastyle temple within which cult statue of Artemis Ephesia with supports RPC III 2061. BMC 229; SNG von Aulock 1885. good fine, pale green patina,

5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Oh, don’t we love good deals...

This tet has 12 known samples, according to RPC online. 70 euros was a good price, in my opinion:

14D3A146-064D-4EA6-8F00-233141AF381A.jpeg

This Hadrian sestertius was 85 pounds. I laughed out loud when the bidding closed. Afterwards I felt like Mr. Burns.

65CCED26-284C-48C0-987C-DFE848FA1947.jpeg

0D736FD5-185C-400B-A9E1-E2C9040579EF.jpeg

6. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Awesome deals all! Love the Mr. Burns reference.

Here's a Sphinx from Athens for around $15.
    athens.jpg ATTICA, Athens. Circa 25-19 BC. Æ17. Helmeted head of Athena right / Sphinx seated right, wearing modius.

mnuuch.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted