MONUMENTS OF ROME

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Nov 23, 2017.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus

VOLTEIA. M.VOLTEIVS M.f.. Laureate head of Jupite r. rev.: "M.VOLTEI M.F." below templeof Jupiter Capitolinus, Mint: Rome, ARD. 76 BC.(3.8gr.17mm.) ref.: BMC.3154, Syd.774, Volteia 1.

VILLA PUBLICA

P. FONTEIVS P. f. CAPITO. diademed, veiled and draped head of Concordia r "P FONTEIVS CAPITO III VIR CONCORDIA" Rev.: Villa Publica on the Campus Martius, "T DIDI " on l., "VIL PVB" on r., "IMP" below.. Mint.Rome, 55 BC. ARD (4.36gr,/18mm., 6h). . Ref.:C.1a, BMC. 3855,Syd.905, Crawford 429/2a; Sydenham 901

CURIA JULIA

OCTAVIANVS. Bare head right 30-29 BC. AR D. (21.5mm, /3.57gr). Rev.: The Curia Julia (Roman Senate House),” IMP CAESAR” on architrave, Victory standing on globe at apex of pediment, warriors at the angles. RIC I 266; CRI 421; BMCRE 631; RSC 122

TEMPLE OF CAESAR

OCTAVIANVS,. Bearded and bare head r," IMP CAESAR DIVI F III VIR ITER R P C" around. Rev.: Tetrastyle temple, Caesar statue wearing veil and holding lituus within;" DIVO IVL" on architrave, star within pediment, lit altar to l.; "COS ITER ET TER DESI" around. Mint: Southern or Central Italian , spring-summer 36 BC AR D Ref.: Crawford 540/2; CRI 315; Sydenham 1338; RSC 90. (3.96gr, /17mm, 7h.)V F,

EQUESTRIAN STATUE MARCIA

L. Marcius Philippus. Diademed head of Ancus Marcius r.; lituus behind. “ANCVS” Rev.: Equestrian statue r. on arcade of five arches; flower below statue,”AQVAMR” between arches, “PHILIPPVS” l. along grenatis. Mint: Rome 57 BC. AR D. (17mm, /4.02 gr, 12h) Crawford 425/1; Sydenham 919;

TRAJAN COLUMN TRAIANVS.
    Laureate bust draped r. "IMP CAES NERV TRAIAN OPTIMO AVG GER DAC”. Rev.: Trajan on column, two eagles on basis “PM TRP COS... [SP]QR”. BMC.565, RIC.356,Sears 232. Rome 114-117. AR.D. (3.244 gr.) Temple of Jupiter CNG.jpg Marcia.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent coins

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some beautiful representations of ancient Roman buildings and history.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i dig the arkitecture!

6. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I'm loving it!

Thanks,
    Jacob

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful coins with terrific devices----i LOVE architecture!!!!

One of my favorites:

Nero (54-68 AD). AR Denarius (17 mm, 2.99 g), Roma (Rome), 65-66.
    Obv. NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS, laureate head to right.
    Rev. VESTA, Hexastyle temple of Vesta with domed roof, set on podium of four steps; within, statue of Vesta seated left, holding patera and scepter.
    RIC 62.

nero denarius.jpg

galba68, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 13 others like this.
  8. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

9. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Trajan Column
    TRAJAN COLUMN TRAIANVS. Laureate bust draped r. "IMP CAES NERV TRAIAN OPTIMO AVG GER DAC”. Rev.: Trajan on column, two eagles on basis “PM TRP COS... [SP]QR”. BMC.565, RIC.356,Sears 232. Rome 114-117. AR.D. (3.244 gr.)
    my favorite of Nero !

Attached Files:

TIF, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 10 others like this.
  10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What a fantastic set!!

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great set @PMONNEY !

Buildings, etc. have been a lower priority for me. I have very few Monuments of Rome...

RR Volteius 78 BCE AR Den Jupiter Temple S 312 Cr 385-1.jpg
    RR Volteius 78 BCE AR Den Jupiter Temple Sear 312 Craw 385-1

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, Jay GT4 and 8 others like this.
  12. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

Rostra and the temple of Divus Iulius.
    He is a rare sestertius.
    Bought yesterday for 6 euros.
    RIC 639[​IMG] [​IMG]

TIF, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 4 others like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Great coin and for 6 Euro good value, is that Hadrian on obverse?

14. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

That's Hadrian :)

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The construction of the temple to Diva Faustina, which was later rededicated to Divus Antoninus and Diva Faustina, began in the year following the empress's death in AD 141. It was probably completed about AD 150, which is the date assigned to this issue in Hill, The Monuments of Ancient Rome as Coin Types, pp. 11-13. The shell of the building still survives in the Roman Forum, enclosing the church of S. Lorenzo in Miranda.

Faustina Sr AED DIV FAVSTINAE denarius.JPG

Valerian I reportedly restored the temple of Vulcan in the Campus Martius in Rome (probably near the Circus Flaminius), thus establishing a purpose for this issue.

Valerian I DEO VOLKANO Antoninianus.jpg
    Valerian I, AD 253-260.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 2.69 g, 21.2 mm, 7 h.
    Colonia Agrippina (Cologne) mint, AD 259-260.
    Obv: VALERIANVS·P·F·AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: DEO VOLKANO, Vulcan standing left within tetrastyle temple, hammer raised in right hand, tongs downward in left.
    Refs: RIC 5 (inaccurately attributed to the Lugdunum mint); Cohen 2 (inaccurately attributed to Valerian II); RSC 50c; Göbl 884d; Hunter IV 56; RCV 9934.

The largest and most splendid of Rome's temples, the Temple of Venus and Rome, was designed by Hadrian himself. It was depicted numerous times on coinage over the century. This coin was issued within a year of a fire that damaged the temple and its restoration by Maxentius. Its reverse legend CONSERVATORES VRB SVAE declares Maxentius as the Savior of the City. Certainly, the rebuilding of this venerated temple would be worthy of a coin in commemoration of the event!

Maxentius CONSERV VRB SVAE follis.jpg
    Maxentius as Augustus, AD 307-312.
    Roman billon follis, 6.57 g, 25.7 mm, 10 h.
    Rome, AD 307-308.
    Obv: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, radiate head right.
    Rev: CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing in hexastyle temple, head left, globe in right hand, scepter in left, shield at side behind, Victories as acroteria, wreath on pediment, H left, R S in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 202a; Cohen 21; RCV 14986.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    TIF, zumbly, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

normal_VespasiantempleVesta.jpg

RIC 601 Vespasian As
    IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS IIII CENS
    Laureate head of Vespasian right

VESTA SC
    Doomed temple of Vesta in the Forum, showing four columns and containing statue of the goddess on pedestal

Rome 73 AD

9.48g

RIC 601 (R); Sear 2365; BMCRE 664

Rare

Ex-Calgary Coin

This celebrated temple had been rebuilt by Nero following the great fire of 64 AD. The Neronian structure survived until another conflagration late in the reign of Commodus and was again restored early in the 3rd century by Julia Domna. It was again rebuilt in more modern times where it still stands in the Roman Forum to this day.

Die notes from Curtis Clay:

"Same dies, and better condition, than the Paris spec., pl. LVII, 663.

The BM spec., pl. 26.9, also illustrated in RIC, pl. 40, 601, is also from the same rev. die, but a different obv. die.

The BM and Paris specimens of the same As for Titus COS II CENS are also from that same rev. die: BM pl. 27.7 = RIC pl. 42, 640; Paris pl. LIX, 689."

TIF, zumbly, Curtisimo and 7 others like this.
  17. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Very nice coin with interesting reverse

18. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Temple of Venus and Rome. Antoninus Pius Sestertius. Rv Facade of the Temple of Rome. piuss7.jpg

Roman Collector, TIF, Ajax and 8 others like this.
  19. Ancient Aussie

Beautiful coin, best I have seen of that type.

20. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Trajan's Column Denarius of Trajan trajand51.png

21. Ancient Aussie

Draft saved Draft deleted