Monster Peace Dollar (Guess Final Sale Price)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Endeavor, Jan 18, 2017.

1. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

To be quite honest, I expected to see an MS 68 coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I expected to see wild colors

5. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I expected to see both

6. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

If I own the coin. Then, it isn't a monster. That's my scale lol.

mynamespat likes this.
  7. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It can't be. We were just told that NGC is ultra conservative and never overgrades unlike PCGS. You were being very kind; it doesn't look like a 64 to me.

8. orifdoc

orifdoc Well-Known Member

Well, I hope the OP isn't the seller. When it comes to Peace dollars, the series is full of all sorts of strange things. Even though the 28-P had the lowest mintage of the series, it is not a key date or even a particular condition rarity at MS64.

This example isn't particularly well struck. There is some unattractive haze visible in the photos, and the photo technique over-emphasizes hairlines over the portrait. It does seem to have nice luster, which not all of them have. The overall look to me is that of a dipped coin with toning coming back in a not-so-nice way.

I think nicer coins can be found at the MS63 level, at least from the photos.

This isn't my coin (anymore) but in my mind even this one isn't worthy of the title of "monster":

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    KoinJester likes this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Take the mark off the chin, the rim ding, and the two minor marks on the eagle's wing and it is. :)

As it is, it's every bit the grade PCGS gave it. I'm guessing you're aware it's a CoinFacts plate coin?

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

what is a "plate coin", Dave?

11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

The term Plate Coin is used to describe a coin that is used to illustrate a coin in a book, catalog or other periodical. It often gives coins pedigrees which increases the value.

12. mikenoodle

The surfaces on this coin look to have a texture to them. Is that just the photograph?

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  13. orifdoc

It wasn't my intention to de-rail this thread this much. Actually I didn't know about the CoinFacts screen for the '24. The lone MS68 1924 dollar (which I would love to examine someday) is the primary 1924 Plate Coin. I recently sold the one I posted and the rest of my Peace set. Many of them were TrueViewed prior to sale and that's probably why it's there. Two or three of the coins were difficult to part with. This was one of them.

The 1924 sometimes comes with a heavy orange-peel (ish) texture that I presume comes from a late die state with heavy flowlines. Luster on these is usually in the knock-your-socks off category. Fine die detail isn't as nice but the actual strike is decent. They usually have phenomenal original mint frost too.

14. mikenoodle

I ask because I have a 1922 Peace Dollar with a similarly textured surface.

I showed Mike Ellis at ANA and he said that it was the way that the coin was originally intended, and that it may have come from very early dies.

That said, this coin looks to have similar surfaces, and it makes me wonder why a coin would have that same surface 2 years later, but most would not.

15. orifdoc

Hmmmm. Mike is undoubtedly a far more knowledgeable numismatist than I am, but this seems to be a bit counter to my own understanding. The granular texture of this coin isn't all that common and very impressive radial flow lines can be seen, especially on the reverse. The surface texture and flow lines are not present on the few proof coins I've seen, so it's doubtful they were intended to be on the hubs/master dies/working dies. Whatever it is, when I find coins like this, I usually buy them. ;)

mikenoodle likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

A 28 isn't in my Whitman yet, But I have come across a few raw that look every bit as good as the op coin. One with irredesent red and blue toning, More of the " Monster" I thought I was gonna see.

17. mikenoodle

exactly why I picked up my coin. I have no interest in common date Peace Dollars, not even in MS.

18. SuperDave

For each entry in PCGS CoinFacts, they provide high-res images of two or three high grade examples of the coin. I hope he doesn't mind me "outing" the coin, but you'll find the one @orifdoc posted here, the blast-white piece on the upper right:

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/7363

The right half of my avatar is another such coin. "Plate coins" are those which - in various written venues - have been chosen as the "example" coin for what the author is illustrating, usually a high-grade example of the type.

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. orifdoc

I think CoinFacts automatically grabs the most recent photo. As soon as another MS67 is TrueViewed it will bump this one down.... at least that's what I've noticed before.

20. SuperDave

That's interesting to know, and believable since they're also dynamically updating Pops and auction data on the site.

21. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

I too thought it was a MS66 or higher with spectacular toning. I have a PCGS MS65, it's not that rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted