Monster NFLD die clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SPP Ottawa, Mar 13, 2014.

1. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

This one also was sent to Maddieclashes, at the request of the site administrator.

I was torn with this coin in my collection. Was it an error, or a nice mint state 1873 (which tend to be very scarce in mint state condition). It is also the 'low 3' variety (one that PCGS does not recognize) but Jack Griffin gave it a rarity factor of 6 (out of 8).

I finally decided to send it into PCGS. It came back MS-63 brown (not really sure if I agree with the "brown" colour designation)...

It has a very strong, and very cool, triple die clash, of Queen Victoria on the reverse side.

NFLD_1c_1873_rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That is cool.

4. 16d

16d Member

Good eye! I would have thought R/B, go figure.

5. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Precious...

6. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I don't see how it didn't get RB. Nevertheless, an awesome coin!

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Liking it
    Question though, why Pcgs and not ICCS?

8. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I collect at the upper end NFLD, Canadian small cents and nickel dollars. I like the concept of registry sets and I prefer how PCGS actually grades bronze coins. A quick check of the population reports, and this coin is in the top 12 certified by PCGS.

A better way to answer your question is look at the very best of Canadian coins (Belzberg, Pittman, Palmer, Canadiana Collection, Perth Collection, Norweb, Point Grey Collection, Uncommon Cents, Mason/Marr, etc...), and ask yourself why they are all in PCGS holders??

Lastly, the ICCS of now, is different than it was 12 years ago. Their flips are a joke, anyone with an impulse heat sealer can compromise their holders.

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I had heard that they weren't as revered as they once were by Can. collectors. And I agree on the flips

Draft saved Draft deleted