Featured Money in a Time of Germs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaparthy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I heard on the radio, for what that is worth, [no, not FOX news] that the virus lives the shortest on paper, cardboard & wood, in that order.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My daughter's in-laws came back from India and I asked them if they had any coins. The reply was "Oh, you don't want those nasty coins" and then they gave me some well-circulated paper money...

-jeffB likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

After going through junk coin bins for a couple of hours, my hands are usually about as dirty as a coal miner.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. Maybe MeowTheCat might have some suggestions. Litterbox? Maybe waterbowl.

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Sorry, but I'm literal about this. The bottles I've seen say nothing about killing viruses, only bacteria, which is why I brought it up. Ant then you said viruses aren't bacteria, so you see where I'm going with this?

-jeffB likes this.
  7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Actually, August 15, 1971 when Nixon closed the gold window and ended Bretton Woods.

8. TheFinn

UV radiation (sunlight) will kill bacteria and viruses.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sure. It's critically important to be clear about things like this.

There are antibacterial SOAPS that have added ingredients to kill bacteria. Those added ingredients don't do any good against viruses, and may be bad anyhow, because bacteria can develop resistance to them.

But soap itself destroys viruses, as does alcohol. Washing with soap damages viruses and carries them away.

10. -jeffB

And us, too, if we get enough of it. ;)

A couple of points, though:

Sunlight doesn't kill bacteria and viruses very quickly, because nearly all of the "germicidal" UV-C gets blocked by the atmosphere, and other kinds of UV are greatly reduced.

Sunlight doesn't kill bacteria and viruses in shadow. If you put a book in the sun, the top cover will get exposed nicely, but not the pages inside.

And the same goes for the human body, of course. Sunlight on your skin does help you make Vitamin D, which is good, but it's not going to affect viruses or bacteria that are already inside you.

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Same here. I have been scrubbing My Hands Like a Surgeon during the cold and flu season for years.

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The reason you hear "wash you hands" is that the Covid Coronavirus has an outer lipid (oil/fat based) shell. This oil based shell does not like detergents that break down the fat/oil .. like soaps, dish soaps, and hand sanitizers (60% alcohol and more).

Covid-19 is basically a nano sized grease ball .. ever seen those Dawn dish soap commercials ?

The ingredient you are looking for in a soap is "sodium laureth sulfate" which is a chemical based sulfate. Soaps may have many other types such as: Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate.

upload_2020-3-31_8-56-40.png

by using a soap your destroy the Covid-19 by ripping apart the lipid, and then it's soluable in water and disintegrates. But of course, the trick is it takes a little time .. thus the 20 seconds rule you hear.

Alcohol is similar to an amphiphile (sulfate soap) but you need a higher concentration of alcohol - 60%+ and it's a bit harsher on the skin to accomplish the same thing.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. Jeffjay

14. Jeffjay

That's one of the things I enjoy so much about Coin talk. Not only are people here very knowledgeable about coins but also science.

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

16. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Thanks for the complete clarification. Now I know the best way to go forward.

17. TheFinn

I have antibodies for that.

18. -jeffB

Not for pathogens your body hasn't encountered yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted