Money Hiding Spots from the Great Depression (a.k.a. Where did Grandpa hide his money?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Here's an idea: Put airtites of gold bullion rounds on the tops of your ceiling fan blades. You would have to tape them down well and balance the weight out so you don't have gold flying around when you flip on the switch. You'd be sitting there thinking I've got X ounces of gold spinning around up there and nobody knows! Nothing can go wrong with that setup, right? :)

Miketexas likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Mom's parents were doing pretty well as a newly-married couple going into the Depression -- they had a few thousand dollars in the bank, which was a tidy sum for a young couple at that time.

They lost it all, of course, and he was out of work for a long time. My mother's earliest memory is of her father coming back to the house, and her mother asking "Did you find any work today?"

As I understand it, for the rest of their lives, they always had cash around the house. I think Mom specifically mentioned mattresses. All three kids were aware of it, though, so I hope none of it slipped through the cracks when they were wrapping up the estate.

The house is still occupied. I've toyed with the idea of buying it someday, and going through it with a fine-toothed comb -- but I know nothing about real estate speculation, except "don't lead with your heart". :)

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Article did not mention the prime location my friend who used to gut houses said he always found. He said the number one hiding place he found money was in closet floors. Makes sense, you do not need to walk on these places, and they are out of view. He said to either side of the door, (hidden areas), people would create false floors that could be removed and money hidden underneath. I bought an awful lot of coins from him over the years, so I assume he knew what he was talking about.

Kasia and Gilbert like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Balanced or not, the added weight would probably burn up the motor.

Chris

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was thinking that or warp the blades. Those blades are not designed to hold weight. I have seen pennies used to balance them bend them out of shape over time.

8. miedbe7

Well shoot...

9. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

My parents were born in 1904 and 1914 and used to tell us kids about The Great Depression often. My Dad was a civil engineer with a good salary, but lost his job and was lucky enough to find a farmer who took him in for zero pay, just room and board. He and my mom did not have any money to hide. A friend of mine found a jar of large cents while renovating his house, none of which were worth big money. Still, he was some excited when he found the jar.

10. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

How about putting sweaters or light jackets in your closet and filling the pockets with coins? Or putting your safe under the couch-peoples butts will be sitting on TONS of metal!

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When our house was burglarized a few years ago, the police told us that burglars are usually looking for flat-panel TVs, but our old CRT TV was untouched.

Those old CRT TV cabinets have a lot of space inside...

micbraun, Kip Caven and miedbe7 like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My grandmother used to hide silver coins in jars andone of her favorites was to wrap them in rags and hide them in old paint cans. That way there wouldn't rattle if you shook the can. She also hid paper money in books and magazines. After my grandparents died we had great trouble keeping my grandfathers second wives sister out of the house. (We were buying the property with contents) every time we cam by we would find she had been there "cleaning up". Which meant burning all the old magazines, books, cans, jars etc. And every time we would wind up digging through the ashes of the burn pile recovering the coins and sometimes fragments of paper money. My grandfather also used to use family pictures as bookmarks in the books he read, so we lost most of those as well. After we managed to get her out we still found several cans of coins and there are still areas in the top of the barn we have never gotten around to searching.

13. littleguy

littleguy Member

I have a friend who hides coins in his freezer. He say's that he always has cold cash just sitting around.

14. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

All though my grandfather didn't grow up in the depression he always buried money in glass jars on the various barns and sheds on his property heck my dad caught him doing it a few times.

15. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I knew a guy who did that, but his wife threw it out when she cleaned out the freezer. It was over 20 Grand. They actually called the town to find out which part of the dump that days trash was most likely to be. They searched for three days and nothing. I keep mine in the bank;)

littleguy and Paul M. like this.
  16. SierraGreene

SierraGreene New Member

Going through a relative's house, I found a few valuable coins in their original mint packages. They were stored inside packing foam in cardboard boxes that originally held cheap glassware (vases, etc) that had been purchased at a tupperware-style home sales party. The boxes were sitting on top of a stack of Whitman coin folders.

I began to look up the value of the coins, discovered the world of coin collecting, became addicted to Mercury dimes, and here I am...

17. miedbe7

Sounds like Cousin Eddie from the sub-par installment "Vegas Vacation" in the National Lampoons series.

18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

This isn't where coins were stored but if you take the outer case off of and old washer or drier I guarantee you'll find several coins.

19. Bryant M

Bryant M Active Member

Closets floors back nooks of addicts under insulation. Silver coin rolls in door frames walls cash behind painting under drawers in desks

20. Bryant M

Bryant M Active Member

List goes on founds lots of stuff when I used to work for a renovation company

21. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Wow. This really makes me want to change jobs...!

Anyone need any old houses torn down? ;-)

Kip Caven likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted