Money burning a hole in my pocket

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by texmech, Jul 19, 2017.

1. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

Its been a while since I posted. Kind of taking a break from my favorite hobby. My question is this. I was looking to purchase something like an ounce of gold and hope it appreciates at a cost of $1,200 (todays prices), but started thinking that hey, the only penny I don't have is a 1909 SVDB. Maybe I should fill in the last hole in my Lincoln cent collection probably at a similar price. I imagine gold might appreciate more in the long run so that probably is the way to go, but wondering what you all thought.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's your decision to make.
    Man up and decide on your own.
    Or do you need someone to blame when your investment goes south?

4. texmech

I was hoping for a little more insight than that

Curtisimo and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

What sort of condition are you going after for the SVDB? Maybe you could get s nice example and a quarter ounce AGE with what you have. For me, I'd take a nice SVDB over the gold any day.

6. texmech

My budget right now is somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500, maybe more. I know key dates appreciate to some extent, but how do they compare against gold? Basically I just want to do something with some money I have sitting around (mad money) that could gain interest versus just staying at face value.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would go for the SVDB as it's the only one I'm missing. And I would go for the best possible condition. Mission accomplished and then work towards the gold. JMHO. Wish I had purchased the Lincoln when I was young, the appreciation in value has only gone up. Gold is too speculative. Maybe win, maybe lose.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Go for the 1909

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  9. texmech

Yes, I got my collecting start growing up back in the 60's and it pains me to see what the 09 was selling for back then, but everything is relative. Now I am a teenager with a little mad money.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Hate to sound cliche, but to me what will give you the most satisfaction to own? Ignoring "investing". I have always found investing and collecting are a terrible combination. Buy what gives YOU the most pleasure owning.

Btw, I have also found the coins I love to own have also tended to appreciate more than ones others have said are "great investments". Another reason to ignore "investing" with your hobby and just buy what you love. If the only reason you are buying the sVDB is because others have told you that it is a must for your set, but you love to own a St Gaudens, buy the St Gaudens. I know I love looking at mine. :)

Jwt708, tommyc03 and green18 like this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Buy some shares in Netflix

12. green18

Netflix is like the family refrigerator........you open the door, and there's plenty of stuff inside, but nothing you want to eat (see).........

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm trying to understand how you could be growing up back in the 60's and still be just a teenager now. What is your secret formula?

Don't speculate. Get the Lincoln.

Chris

tommyc03 and Clawcoins like this.
  14. green18

15. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

No one has any clue as to the answer to this.

Personally I'd compromise and buy a nice $20 pre-33 piece. Scratch both itches at once. But I'm not you.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Always buy what will make you happy. I think if you're looking to hold value the gold is the way to go and older gold is better.

The older collectors still have a fondness for Lincolns but I'm not sure demand will stay high. At a mintage of 484,000 it isn't really a rare coin, just expensive.

imrich likes this.
  17. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I would buy a some 1933 gold. I just inherited a significant amount of money and rather than spend it all 100% on a yacht and a Lambo. I am buying some really nice MS 65 and MS66 gold $20 St Gauden and Liberties that way you kind of have the best of both worlds. I'm still buying serious high end rarities too but for you I think it sounds like the 1933 gold is best.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, you can have something where you"hope" it appreciates, or you could have something with a 100-year track record of liquidity.

This ain't rocket science.... :)

Kirkuleez and green18 like this.
  19. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Here's my thoughts - I'm very leery of the bullion market in the short run. I think that gold investment may be a poor one if for some reason you need to turn around and sell it in six months. The 1909 S VDB, on the other hand, is, has been, and will be a sought after collectible. It you spend your money wisely on one of them, I think you'd be fine to get out from under it. Now, if you are financially sound in the foreseeable future (I don't need to get into your business, you know the answer to this), buy what you like.

If it were me, I'd be buying the Lincoln - but I like 19mm copper, so I have a bias.

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Me i'd go for a $3 gold princes, what do I know. I've seen some wicket nice AU 58 for about 1200.
    Go for the 09 S VDB

21. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

No one can predict how prices will move, and either could be a good 'investment' only if you are willing to sell at some point. Or a bad investment.

Either of your choices could be liquidated easily in case of an urgent need for funds, so get the one that gives you the most satisfaction.

If your only goal is to spend some money then a bullion ounce is fine--that is highly tradable at a coin show for example.

Pre 1933 or non-US equivalent is fun/beautiful/interesting, but so might be filling that last spot in your Lincoln set. That is a personal thing.

The only thing I would stay away from (unless it happens to be what YOU like) is the so-called collectible or proof modern bullion. Those would only garner you bullion prices in a fire sale or a reduced premium if you used it as a swap. Of course, if it's something that appeals to you (and I say that as the owner of a couple Britannias and double sovereign proofs) then go for it. But, those, as an 'investment', might hurt you the most in the end. Or not. I have no crystal ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted