Moms old coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jeffery Hall, Dec 6, 2022.

1. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

It looks like it's from the Littleton coin company.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

All are special because of your mom. If you like or value a coin, as one said “ if only they can talk”. Sorry for your loss.

4. PamR

Sorry for your loss.

5. PamR

Very well stated.

6. PamR

My dad was not a collector but he seemed to have tossed coins in a jar, box etc. All of your mom’s coins are special no matter how it looks. What nahh oh es it priceless is your mom touched them. She is smiling no doubt that you are keeping her coins alive.

Jeffery Hall likes this.
  7. PamR

Jeffery Hall likes this.
  8. BurrosCoins

BurrosCoins Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Those coins of your moms are extra special and the fact she wrote on the holders why she held on to them just adds to the story. Definitely a treasure to hold on too and save for future generations. Thanks for sharing.

PamR and Jeffery Hall like this.
  9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I should mention that my aunt & her husband owned a Polish Kelbosa shop. She passed away last year at 102. They saved many old coins and loved to collect silver since the late 60's or 70's.

Once, I don't know when, a customer came in and wanted to spend a $20 gold piece. Of course, she took it. I saw it a few years ago and vaguely recall the date as 1898 or 1899 (think it was 98), P-mint. Beautiful condition with not a bagmark on it as it never was stored in a bag. It had a touch of friction so possibly an AU-58 today.

Of course her children are saving it. An interesting note is that on the other side of my family, my maternal grandmother (born 1899) used to own some rental properties near Philly. She told of collecting the rents in $20 gold pieces but never saved any.

PamR and BurrosCoins like this.
  10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Yesterday I looked all over for my Lafayette Dollar. When I finally found it I gave it immediately to one of our daughters. I am giving some of my key coins to the children now rather than later. Of course, they get to listen to a story and the significance of the coin.

Kasia, PamR and Jeffery Hall like this.
  11. PamR

I guess in the day no one thought of that. Now people that traveled all over, people would bring coins back. You never know, you may run into one one day. So sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    Gallienus likes this.
  12. markfindnlncn

markfindnlncn New Member

ok im new but i have found some coins i am wondering about one is a gold quarter, i have three 1992 close ams a 91 with a missing numeral and some other coins i believe mule struck.

13. markfindnlncn

markfindnlncn New Member

i will post post some pictures
    My email is markanthonyedmonds@gmail.com

14. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to make a type set of coins from the years my parents were born, but my dad was born in 1921...except for the Morgan dollar, the other silver coins aren't cheap in nice condition. Same with my maternal grandfather...1895. I won't be getting a Morgan with that date anytime soon. Keep those coins and don't sell them. No matter what the condition, they will always have sentimental value.

Inspector43 and Jeffery Hall like this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I know how you feel. I made Family Tree type sets for 22 great grandchildren and several grandchildren. I went all the way back to their great great grandparents. It was a job. Fortunately I had plenty of stock from my accumulations over my life of collecting.

PamR and BurrosCoins like this.
  16. Jeffery Hall

Jeffery Hall Active Member

Going through more boxes found a bag pennies and a bag of nickels and dimes. The bag of nickels also had a few State quarters and a Martin Van Buren gold dollar. Also a gold plated 1942 dime from the littleton coin co. A mangled 1942 silver quarter.
    Nickels range from 1959 to 2021. No 2009 nickels.
    Dimes range from 1964 to 2018.
    Anything in the nickels and dimes to look for before i pick out some of the nicer coins for me and send the rest back to the bank.
    The pennies don't look to be in the best shape, I will give them a quick glance and send them back to the bank.
    DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00693.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00695.JPG
    DSC00696.JPG
    Jeff Hall

Kasia likes this.
  17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Nickels keep for now, maybe, the ones from the 70s/80s, if really nice (uncirculated), IMO if you don't have an error coin the ones from the 90s to today aren't special. Keep earlier ones but if it's a 1964, only keep if really BU or something, the number minted that year was crazy.

Dimes, keep 1964 or before. Most others (though there are exceptions and rare to find) are not worth much to keep.

Those are my thoughts for a novice.

18. Kasia

If you don't have a coin book (red book) or whatever, one resource you can use to see what coins might be valuable would be online at the PCGS price guide. Each coin type has a link, and there is some info there that is basic. Price guides are never perfect, but they do list the coins recognized, the ones that have mintmarks, and give a relative sense of value. Assuming you have a MS60-63 (most common ones you will find uncirculated) you can get a relative sense of value of one coin of a type vs another. And you also can see ones that are worth saving, such as any 1982 dime you find that has no mintmark, it is valuable.

19. Jeffery Hall

Jeffery Hall Active Member

Thanks Kasia

20. Kasia

BTW, you perhaps see a MS60 dime valued on PCGS at 4 or 5 dollars as MS60 (and MS60 is a dog compared to higher uncirculated grades), such as the 1994D dime, don't even think saving this will ever really lead to you getting that sort of price for it. There were 1.3 billion of these minted and even though almost 30 years later, IMO a surviving one at MS60 would simply not be that special to be 'worth' 4.00. So really take the prices sometimes with a grain or two or a pound of salt. Personally, I think the chances of this particular coin I am giving as an example here will never really even be worth 1.00 to someone at MS60 for at least another 30 years. So maybe using that dime (concurrently with a lot more of them) to purchase something that has some chance of increasing in value might be more worthy.

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I happen to go through what I wrote. My mother passed in 1990, not 1909, if it matters.

PamR likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted