Moms old coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jeffery Hall, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Jeffery Hall

Jeffery Hall Active Member

Hello eveyone I don't post much just do a lot of reading here. everything I collect comes in through pocket change. I just wanted to share with you my coins I got from my mom.
    Mom showed me these coins back in the early 70's when I was a kid. Now mom passed away in Feb. of this year. As I was going through her things to get ready to sell her house I came across theses again. They may not be valuable or the desire dates but they have meaning.
    DSC00135.JPG DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG DSC00141.JPG
    I also got several Pennies. The dates are when her mom was born (1903) She was born in 1941. 35 and 44 was her brother and sister I got a 1908 penny for when her dad was born.
    DSC00147.JPG DSC00149.JPG DSC00151.JPG DSC00156.JPG
    Thank you for allowing me to share. I'm the only in my family who love's these old coin.

I will try to share more later.

Jeff Hall

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Nice coins. Intrinsic value pales into insignificance when compared to the family connections. Thanks for sharing

4. Jeffery Hall

Here are a few more.
    DSC00615.JPG
    DSC00617.JPG
    DSC00619.JPG
    DSC00621.JPG
    Like i said nothing special. Just what my mom had.

Jeff Hall

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That mangled 1921-D Morgan dollar is interesting. Only worth the silver value in that condition, of course, but one wonders what story it would tell.

6. lordmarcovan

7. Jeffery Hall

My Guess would be a train track or something like that.

8. lordmarcovan

Maybe. But the way it's kind of bent up on both ends makes me wonder. I think (since a silver dollar is not quite as wide as a railroad rail), that it would be flatter overall, and not bent up like that on two sides (maybe one, if was on the edge of the rail). Dunno. Could have just been a hammer attack?

It's badly damaged, of course, but sometimes mysterious damage can be mildly intriguing.

PamR and Jeffery Hall like this.
  9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice coins. My Dad wasn't a collector. When he passed I found a single 1921 Morgan.
    It's the one of hundreds that I own that I would never part with because it's irreplaceable.

PamR, Inspector43 and Jeffery Hall like this.
  10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

My collecting all started in 1948. I was visiting my aunt and she opened her jewelry box, and it had two old nickels in it. An 1883 and an 1885. She gave them to me, and I was hooked.

11. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see at least one person in the family appreciates them :)

12. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Nice story, thanks for sharing. I don't know what your feelings are regarding you selling coins, but I bet I know one group that will never be sold regardless how you feel.

Inspector43, PamR and Jeffery Hall like this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I didn't know that my father was a coin collector. He passed in 1996. When we went through the will, it turns out that he had been collecting coins, however, not at the level that most, if not all, of you collect. It turns out that they had been kept in an old pickle jar, the kind that use to be in convenient stores, maybe not any more though. When my brother and I went through his coins, he had some interesting things in there, but my mother was not willing to give any of his things. When she passed in 1909, by brother and sister went through everything and found the jar. Since they live in California and I live in North Carolina, I did go to my mother's funeral, but didn't stay to go through all of their things. My brother made a list and asked me to divide the coins. I did and became an avid coin collector. His coins are still in the jar. I did get a lot of cool coins that I didn't even know existed.

lardan, daniel a DiBiasio and -jeffB like this.
  14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and welcome to Cointalk! I've been there and know what your going through sort of.

PamR, Jeffery Hall and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

I lost my mother a year ago this month, so I know, too.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very nice, your mom was a very smart woman :) I am basically doing the same thing with 1 OZ GOLD Krugerrands 67 - 23, many are difficult find, the coin is distributed world wide with many having low mintages, being impatient person that iam, I just bought a 1987-W PR70 Type one AGE, it celebrates the year I got married so will always be a special coin :)

17. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Yep you only get to go through moms house one time and find all those things that were special to her for whatever reason.

Kasia, PamR and Jeffery Hall like this.
  18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I have seen similar damaged SDs that were intended to be shaped into a buckle. Who knows. There was definitely a reason. It is an interesting piece.

Jeffery Hall likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Could be... could be.

charley likes this.
  20. Jeffery Hall

Diggin thru more boxes I came across these. I'm not going to open them but it adds to what I'm finding. Not sure where she got them cause I know she wouldn't Order them. Must have been some kid of promo.
    DSC00626.JPG
    DSC00627.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00630.JPG

Looks like I can Call them Uncirculated. Been in a box for 22 years.

Jeff Hall

PamR likes this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Sorry for your loss.
    Oh if those coins could talk, what a story they would tell.
    Keeping them and passing them on to other family members would be beyond value.

Draft saved Draft deleted