"Modern" Take on an Ancient Classic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Feb 27, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I just got this Gallienus in the mail today. One of my favorite reverses is Britania seated with her shield and trident. So when I saw this coin, of course I had to place a bid. I lucked out and was the only bidder and he came home to me for only $7.99.

I wonder how many other "modern" coins we can match with their ancient counterparts. If you have any, I'd love to see them!

Ancient Classic:
    Gallienus
    Billon Antoninianus
    Cyzicus mint
    Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    Reverse: ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated left on shield, holding Victory and spear. Star in upper left field.
    IMG-6246-removebg-preview.png

"Modern" Take:
    1799 Great Britain Farthing

1799 Great Britain Farthing.jpg

Sulla80, panzerman, Andres2 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin at a good price. Congrats on the win.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

Thanks. I got 3 coins from the same seller. He refused to combine shipping, saying it was "too difficult" for his shipping method. So I paid shipping on 3 separate coins that I received all in the same package. Wasn't really happy with that...but for the price I paid, I can't complain too much.

Theodosius and Roman Collector like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Report that to eBay and see if he violated any of their rules. He could have refused to combine shipping and sent three packages but sending in one package is not good.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent coin for an excellent price (not the shipping).

ominus1 and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

I've contacted the seller and asked for a refund on the extra shipping. I've never reported a seller on ebay and when I was looking at how to do it, kept going around in circles on the site. We shall see what he says back.

8. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I bought a few snack coins from the same seller and got the same story on shipping. I was happy with the coins/price so didn’t make a fuss but was disappointed that he wouldn’t combine shipping when they were all bought and sent together anyway. It was still worth the cost. I’ll post them here later.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

+

10. furryfrog02

I agree with the fact that the coins were well priced. I just find the charging for shipping 3 times and only shipping one package, in which the coins were loose mind you, to be a bit on the dishonest side.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The FAO medal belongs to @stlnats, whose pictures I borrowed.

SEELzvZyRdK0XEUO0iil_LFBrocchus-label.png faocombo_zps818b81a9.jpg faodesc_zps61557bc9.jpg

Ryro, Sulla80, panzerman and 4 others like this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

When you list an item on eBay, you have the option of offering a discount when combining items for shipping. This discount is stated in the shipping information. If there is no discount listed, then you would have no reason to assume that you will be offered one, regardless of how many items you've purchased.

Many dealers include consideration of the shipping price when deciding what the opening bid or buy-it-now price will be, allowing them to list coins--usually lower grade--at a slightly lower price than would be expected, maiking them seem like bargains. Whether or not this is a good way to encourage customer loyalty is open to discussion, but it's not dishonest. At worst, it's just cynical business practice, which we Americans tend to excel at.

14. furryfrog02

@gsimonel all I'm saying is, if you are making me pay shipping for 3 coins, I expect them to be shipped in 3 packages. Not one. Especially when your excuse for not offering combined shipping is that it would make your shipping/orders "difficult".

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I agree. My guess is that you are not likely to buy again from this dealer. I know that I wouldn't.

16. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Back on topic, there are many, many modern world coins that are inspired by their 2000 year old Greek and Roman ancestors. It’s fun to recognize the figures.

324B664C-0EE3-4081-BD9B-7890244CC5C1.jpeg

Here`s an art noveau Roma in quadriga:
    313AFFD9-2F01-488F-983C-36A243687BB3.jpeg

Sulla80, Ryro, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  17. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Nice coin, @furryfrog02, and I like the modern classical pairing. Vittorio Emanuele's neoclassical coins are fun to pair up. Here's an AE duo:
    Meta AE.jpg
    Lucania, Metapontion, c.300-250 BC, AE
    Obv: Head of Demeter left., wearing barley-wreath and pendant earring
    Rev: META, barley-ear with leaf to right at right, above, flower
    Victor Emanuel III 5c.jpg
    Obv: VITTORIO EMANVELE III RE D'ITALIA, Head of king Victor Emmanuel III facing left, A.MOTTI below
    Rev: Large central ear of wheat with leaf to left divides value, C. 5, 1930 (date) lower right. mintmark bottom right of wheat, R
    Engraver: Attilio Silvio Motti

Orielensis, Bing, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  18. furryfrog02

Nice pairing @Sulla80 ! I have the Italian 5c version but obviously not the original!

19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I once bought 3 Canadian banknotes, getting charged $3.99 shipping for each.

I asked for a combined shipping invoice, and got a whopping $1 back; they were all sent in the same package.

On the other side, I had a buyer buy several items at once. I offered 20% off combined shipping, which just wasn't enough. He bullied me into giving a full 50% off shipping, meaning I lost money on shipping. Great

furryfrog02 and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted