modern mint mark "SMS"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mac266, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together year sets for my two boys; each will get an NGC certified coin of every coin in their birth year. Yes, I know it's not a worthwhile investment to have these things certified, but I don't really care about that. This is something for them. Someday, when they grow older, they may not take an interest in coins like me, but they'll remember that I did this for them.

Anyway, I read the invoice from a shipment of coins for my 2006 boy. All of the mintmarks were listed as "P" or "D" but they all had "SMS" listed after them. What does that mean?

Oh, both nickels were graded with 6 full steps!

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Special Mint Set

4. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate? What does that mean?

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

You say that your son was born 2006? So it's a mystery to me then why it states SMS since the definition is as follows -

Question:
    What Is a Special Mint Set?
    Answer:
    A Special Mint Set, often called an SMS, is a set of coins issued by the U.S. Mint from 1965 to 1967. These coins are characterized by a better than average strike, since they were struck on higher-tonnage coin presses than circulation-quality coins, but they were not struck as Proofs. SMS coins do not have any Mint marks.
    Special Mint Sets consist of one coin of each circulating type in the year it was issued: Cent, Nickel, Dime, Quarter-Dollar, and Half-Dollar. The coins were sealed in special packaging. In 1965, a clear vinyl plastic called "pliofilm" was used; in 1966 and 1967, the coins were placed into plastic cases. Both types sold for $4.00 per set.

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

No need to apologize for what you want to collect and have graded. I've put together a graded set of coins from my birth year and the year I graduated college. I don't care whether they appreciate or not. Those years hold special meaning to me and I wanted to have graded coins from that year.

IMO, it's a lot easier to store graded coins long term vs. ones in 2x2's, flips or airtites.

7. paddyman98

8. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Well...looks like I'll have to submit the rest of the coins from that set. I had a few already certified that were in mint state, but not special mint sets. Now the labels won't match if I don't send in the rest of the SMS coins :)

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm a collector so...ya. Who cares about some investment opportunity?

The only thing I would have done different would have been to buy already graded coins.

10. paddyman98

OK I understand now, according to NGC - quote "Earlier this year, the Mint announced that its 2005 Uncirculated Coin Sets, commonly referred to as Mint Sets, would include satin-finish examples of circulating coinage. NGC has examined many of these recently released Mint Sets, and has made the determination to designate these coins as SMS, for Special Mint Set" closed quote. - Your coin must be 2006 Satin Finish found in these new SMS
    So NGC put this info out for the 2005 SMS and I assume they did the same for 2006 - http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=160

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted