Featured Modern counterfeit world coins... train your eyes, get your game up

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Numismat, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Yes, my current search list blocks pretty much the maximum amount of sellers it can before the html link crashes. Firefox lets you exclude way more than crappy Internet Explorer, which limits the length of the address much more. And if the seller changes name, your exclusion list will still block them.
    But, I would not block these particular counterfeit sellers. It's valuable knowledge seeing the coins and getting a good eye for the better quality fakes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks. I understand what you mean about the choice not to block. I use FF too. :)

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Numismat likes this.
  5. krispy

krispy krispy

6. krispy

krispy krispy

BTW, do you guys ever report these sellers on eBay?

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It's rather unfortunate - it used to be easy to report to ebay about these counterfeits.

Now with the new cost cutting measures by reducing the number of staff to remove such counterfeit and hire less experts (ebay wants to call this "streamlined operation") - they would spend less time removing such counterfeits as well as raking in 10% from the sales of counterfeit and a few more percentage from paypal. Ebay will only take action when there's a lot of chargeback or they face some action that could cost them more money. Simply put - why fix things when one can be raking money in current situation unless something could cost them more down the road.

Judging by the lack of comments in here, people do not want to know the inconvenient truth of such super counterfeits. Wait till they buy such counterfeits and attempt to sell them down the road or hand it down to their children and they find out that they have some scrap metal instead of something valuable which they could sell it if they need the funds.

Numismat likes this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

Indeed! Some of the prices these are selling for are alarming. What a hell storm of upset some are going to be in for someday.

Does the site http://numismaticcrimes.org do anything to alert the public, notify venues like eBay or otherwise act on behalf of shutting these sellers down? I see some of the sellers are not foreign and, I'd suppose, easier to track down and interrupt by using local policing or orders of cease and desist?

9. Numismat

I used to, and had some success early on with them being removed. This distributor gave up for a while, but when eBay changed their reporting process they came back, and since then it has been very hard to get them banned unless people that purchased the coins take action. That only happened to the account that was linked in the first post in this thread.

10. Numismat

The problem is that most people are not sure what to believe. The coins look good, but not many people specialize in these types of coins enough to know for sure until they buy them and examine them thoroughly in hand. I'm sure there are not many people here that have purchased any of these to have done so.

11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

12. Numismat

13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Wow! You guys ought to collaborate on a website that lists all these unscrupulous pieces, and perhaps the Seller IDs if you think it would cause any backlash from them. I know toolhaus.org has long been a way to check out and identify eBayers and feedback ratings, but it seems you could start an archive of these sellers and their fake coins' images, but them in some sort of list or chart by coin type and be a huge help to collectors buying on eBay. Just an thought. I appreciate what I have seen here on CT though. WTG!!!

15. Numismat

It would require a lot of detective work and would be an ongoing project, but I'm game :)

16. Numismat

17. Numismat

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

19. Numismat

20. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a fake coin in a real slab, or fake coin in a fake slab?

21. Numismat

People point out fake coins in fake slabs all the time, just look at the CoinForgeryEbay Flickr account.

Real slabs with fake coins not so common. I have seen some of the same types of coins from the same sellers posted here in legit looking slabs, but with the high prices they were going for and since I would likely not get my money back after removing and inspecting the coin, I wasn't about to drop that amount of $$$ to confirm.

Draft saved Draft deleted