Modern Coinage of the Kingdom of Bahrain

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by cman, Dec 28, 2017.

1. cman

cman Junior Member

Being stationed overseas and dealing with this coinage every day I figured it would be nice to throw a little knowledge on both a country that not a lot of people have heard of, and more importantly their coinage.

To start this off, Bahrain is a small island country (295sq Miles) that is 16 miles off the coast of Saudi Arabia. It is a Unitary Presidential Constitutional Monarchy with a King. Bahrain is home to the ancient Dilmun Civilization (Circa 4th millennium BC – 540 BC) renowned for their Pearls. In the late 1800’s Bahrain became a protectorate of the United Kingdom and then in 1971 Bahrain declared independence from the UK to become an emirate. Then in 2002 was formally recognized as a Kingdom.

For this we are going to focus on the modern coinage of the country. The modern design of Bahrain was first enacted in 1992 and comes in 5 denominations. The denominations are: 5 Fils, 10 Fils, 25 Fils, 50 Fils, and 100 Fils. The 5 and 10 Fils are brass, the 25 and 50 Fils are Cupro-nickel, and the 100 Fils coin is a Cupro-nickel core surrounded by a brass ring. Following along I will go into more detail of designs and sizes.

5 Fils/19mm/2.50g/Brass/OBV: Palm Tree/REV: Value
    5 fils.jpg

10 Fils/21mm/3.35g/Brass/OBV: Palm Tree/REV: Value
    10fils.jpg

25 Fils/20mm/2.35g/Cupro-nickel/OBV: Dilmun Civilization seal/ REV: Value
    25fils.png

50 Fils/22mm/3.5g/Cupro-nickel/OBV: Boat (Dhow)/ REV: Value
    50fils.jpg

100Fils/24mm/6.0g/Cupro-nickel with Brass ring/OBV: Coat of Arms/REV: Value
    100fils.jpg

*I do not own these images*

Bahrain Fils are out of 1000, instead of the more common 100 and form together to make one Bahraini Dinar. The locked exchange rate is 1 BHD: $2.65

Thank you and I hope you learned a little something,

Charles

scopru and Jasanche like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted