Modern American Gold Eagles versus vintage business strike gold coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mr. Flute, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

So, my wife and I have a 1 oz gold Maple Leaf that my wife recieved as a gift in the early 1980s from her father. We now have three little boys and are considering cashing in the Maple Leaf for current gold spot and then use that money to buy a gold coin for each boy.

I think we could easily just sell the Maple leaf and then use the money to buy each boy a 1/2 oz AGE. But I was thinking about it further and, as a collector, maybe we could buy a vintage gold eagle for each instead. A 100+ year old Coronet Head $10 coin might be more interesting and better store of value than a 2007 1/2 oz AGE.

So, what does everyone think? As a collector I think I would lean toward the vintage Coronet Head $10 versus a modern 1/2 oz AGE.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'd always lean toward classic numismatic gold instead of bullion, myself. It's nice to have the history that goes along with the coin.
    Guy

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree 100%. Especially you can get either for about the same price ;)

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Like what was said by the other two posters, this a great choice. You can probably find a lower mintage specimen for close to melt value. And you're right, there's a good deal of history too. You never know that Billy the Kid once held that classic gold.

6. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Upon further reflection, I'm considering cashing in the gold Maple Leaf and turn that cash in a cache of ASEs for my boys. With the current gold spot, we could get about 45 ASEs which would be 15 for each boy.

One gold coin is cool, but I would think 15 ASEs would be cooler for the guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted