Modern Afghanistan Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by yakpoo, Aug 16, 2021.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

These aren't great looking coins, but I bought this 2004 set...just in case. If the Taliban is "true to form", they will destroy these coins and mint new ones.

[​IMG]

Nas, Gilbert, longnine009 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't think they're bad looking at all. Very Islamic looking of course, but why wouldn't they be?

Inspector43 and yakpoo like this.
  4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I would imagine older Afghani coins would become harder to obtain and become "rarer". There was a person on IG that visited Afghanistan last year and he visited markets and said there was a lot of old notes and coins for sale. He bought a lot, wants to go back this year but I think things will have changed now that the Taliban has taken over.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I just picked up a set of these, too. They're really quite beautiful notes!

Afghani-Obv.jpg Afghani-Rev.jpg

longnine009, JeffC, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The temple sides are pretty attractive, but yea the other side leaves a bit to be desired. Theyre definitely going to be much harder to come by moving forward nice pick up

lordmarcovan and yakpoo like this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Even if they confiscated and destroyed all their old currency, I'm sure there's plenty outside of the country to fully meet collector needs. Still, it's a good opportunity to pick up some interesting coins and notes.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nice coins especially the older ones are pretty hard to find. There probably is generally enough for the small collector base to get some currently but if interest picked up it would quickly get stretched thin. Even on eBay there’s currently less than 800 listings

9. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2015/2016 when ISIS were at their peak, they issued actual gold coinage, although it would've been highly difficult to acquire one, not to mention being immoral and unethical!
    If Talibans were to stick to their roots, I'd assume they would ban any fiat currency, and produce coinage of gold, silver, and copper.
    I definitely don't see the USA or any other Western countries going back there, but China already have plans to bring in the infrastructure! and if Talibans become more moderate enough to resemble the Iranian government in the future, maybe they will then open up to the world.

10. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

I don't think the coins will be tough. Enough should've left the country in the last 15 years to satisfy collector demand. I'm more interested in their notes, there's been a few new ones that have released recently that might end up being tough to find.

yakpoo likes this.
  11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Do you know if they release coins every year? The most recent circulation grade coin date I've found is 2004.

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

13. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I have a coworker whose husband was in Syria as a civilian contractor during the conflict there and he brought back a few ISIS coins, though they weren't gold. She sent me a picture and I thought it was interesting. I'd never seen them before. I never checked if they're on eBay or how rare they are but I'd have to think they're rather scarce.

yakpoo likes this.
  14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would like to have an ISIS coin. :)

[​IMG]

The copper ones have a South Carolina feel...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Hiddendragon and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Cucumbor, yakpoo and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

17. TheGame

They rarely released coins after 1960. There are only 5 years since with coins that I've confirmed, and a couple more that are listed but I doubt exist. 2005 is also listed for these types but I doubt those exist.

yakpoo likes this.
  18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

What are the years you've confirmed? I haven't found any info on modern Afghan numismatics, yet.

19. TheGame

It's easier to list the ones I don't believe exist, which are the 1979 2 Afghanis and the three 2005 coins.

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This sounds like you're saying that Afghanistan coins were only minted in five (5) years since 1960.

This sounds like you're saying that all coins were minted every years with the exception some coins in 1979 and 2005.

What am I misunderstanding? :oops:

(The only coins since 1960 I've found are 2004)

21. TheGame

There are coins from 1961, 1973, 1978, 1980, and 2004.
    Catalogs also mention coins from 1979 and 2005, but these are either incredibly rare or don't exist at all.

yakpoo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted