Modern 3 cent nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Williammm, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What would we call this four cent nickel. A fickel

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Brilliant i say

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Save a nickel on every coin. Why didn't we think of that sooner

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Fornication"

I know! I know! I'm gonna get the "Dreaded Edit".

Chris

wxcoin likes this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

3 cents??? Might as well have 3 dollar coin while you are at it. Helps out with tipping

7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

If the mint is truly cognizant of the collector universe (which it is not), they would cease to make the penny (cent) for circulation, and continue to make the Lincoln for collectors only. Obviously selling at a markup. Canada blew it by stopping all production of the penny. They could have made some money by continuing to mint for collectors only. This scenario is where the U.S. mint could bring in new collectors by introducing a limited number of pennies into circulation (after discontinuing to mint for circulation) (P,D,S,W) all across the country. Now that would bring in new collectors as well as having old collectors tearing their hair out trying to find them!

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

First of all you are correct the mint does need to stop minting the cent as well the half a dollar.
    They both are pretty much useless demonations at this day and age,as there is truly no need any longer to mint either....nor print the 1 and two dollar notes.
    The mint isn't going to mint a few for would be collectors as the cost would be to high to make a profit. As demand isn't going to be what you vision.....to make it cost effective.
    Canada as well as other countries have recognized the fact that they no longer need to mint or print paper or coins that aren't truly needed.
    Unlike other countries the U.S. does not like change....as well as Congress passing a bill that is truly centered on the fact that one needs not attach other stipulations that have no merit to the bill being passed.
    As a collector I cringe saying what I just did above, as someone who tries to think out side the box yes getting rid of the cent and half is just makes plains sense.
    Unfortunately the U.S. quite a few policies and laws do not make sense....example #1 The Fed houses millions of dollars in dollar coins in an underground vault in Baltimore..... and yes the correct term is houses...as no one wants or uses dollar coins.
    Yet we still mint them and build million dollar vaults to house a coin that may never see the light of day again!!
    Canada didn't blow anything as their mint as well as Perth mints some of the nicest specimens in the world,which they do make considerable amounts of profit on.

9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Maybe we could stack the dollar coins along our southern border.

enamel7 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted