MM on rim?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Steven Shaw, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Steven Shaw

Steven Shaw Well-Known Member

This is a first for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot_9.png

NSP, GH#75, tommyc03 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar on certain mm positions but to me that does look quite low.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

As easily as this coin wears slick, amazing that the S is still ok!

5. Steven Shaw

Here are 2 more 1921-S from the same seller. The bottom pic is one that I own Screenshot_10.png Screenshot_11.png Screenshot_12.png

6. Steven Shaw

I messaged the seller:

Doesn't the raised S MM on the rim throw up a red flag for you?

His reply:

Yes, it does. I pulled the listing (takes a few minutes) for closer examination. Thanks for pointing that out. If it is fake it won't be the first I have gotten in this date/mint.

I didn't ask about the other 2. I'll wait for his opinion on this one. I've never seen the MM under the C before and I've collected, bought and sold Buffaloes for over 20 years.

GH#75 and Matthew Kruse like this.
  7. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

I think the s may have been punched onto a regular 1921 nickel... The fact that the s is still intact is a sign of this, along with the placement.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

At least the seller seems responsible.

GH#75 and NSP like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No. It was not punched into the coin. It's raised above the surface.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great imagination! Looks like the rim took a small hit and formed what looks like an S mint mark on the rim.

11. Steven Shaw

Really??? I don't see anything but an S.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think it is just an extremely overused reverse die that pushed outward from the center. You can see it in the lettering as well as the position of the front and rear of the bison closeness to the rim. Look at the other 3 examples, the lettering enlarges and merges at well. Die deterioration . IMO, Jim

alurid likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It isn't possible to have the mintmark ON the rim. The portion that forms the top surface of the rim is lower than the field of the coin and in theory slightly lower than the deepest parts of the design. To get the mintmark on both the field and the rim it would have to be punched in deeper than the deepest areas of the buffalo. And even then it would only just be beginning to show on the top surface of the rim. Next problem is the mintmark on the rim would be the highest feature on the coin and the first area to wear away. This mintmark is sharp on the rim, not worn.

I'm calling it a fake or altered coin.

Steven Shaw likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted