Mithridates VI - Greece's final warrior

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lane Walker, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Lane Walker

Lane Walker Active Member

[​IMG]
    Colchis, DiosKourias / Mithridates VI / AE, 17mm, 4.8 gm / 105-90 BC
    Obv: Two Pileus caps with stars above
    Rev: ΔΙOΣKOYPIAΔOΣ with thyrsos between
    Ref: SNG BM Black Sea 1021, Sear 3629

The transition between Greece and Rome taking center stage was certainly not acute but I find the subject an interesting topic and further feel like Mithridates VI is a notable life to project that transition onto. I came across Mithridates VI first via one of the children of his many concubines which was to be installed and then rule Cappadocia for a time named Ariarathes IX of Cappadocia.

Mithridates VI of Pontus should be titled the King of the Black Sea when one considers the expanse of the Kingdom of Pontus during his reign and the cunning ability, at first, to incite the Romans to fight his armies on Greek soil. Having already fallen to Roman rule in 197 BC, Athens even recognized and celebrated the last gasp happening eastward by erecting and dedicating a heroon to Mithridates VI at Delos in 102 BC. Mithridates bested 2 of Rome's prominent generals: Lucius Cornelius Sulla and Lucullus and finally succumbed to the Roman general Pompey during the third Mithridatic War in 63 BC.

This little coin is an issue from the time of his empire's initial expansion and although it does not feature his profile one only has to look as far as the puppet reign of his own son in Cappadocia to get a glimpse of it's actual King (Mithridates VI). It comes from a province of Colchis called DiosKourias which is on the the eastern rim of the Black Sea. The pileus on the front of this coin is a felt cap that had become emblematic of liberty and the fact that two are featured may be symbolic of the city itself which is said to have been visited by the twin brothers Castor and Pollux from Greek mythology. The constellation Gemini ♊ is based on this famous set of twins.

What a fascinating little coin and I'm thrilled to have a connection to so much history!

Below I'm including the Cappadocia issue struck under his son's reign that many think depicts Mithridates IV

[​IMG]
    Kings of Cappadocia / Ariarathes IX / 18.5 mm, 4.0 gm / AR Drachm / 98-97 B.C.
    Obv: Diademed head right of Ariarathes IX with the features of Mithradates VI of Pontos
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΡIAΡAΘOY EYΣEBOYΣ / Athena standing left, holding Nike, spear and shield. IΠΛ monogram in inner left field

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coins/ excellent historical perspective. I have a AV Stater from this guy/ Istros Mint/ exTkalec IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0698.JPG

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...he was quite a dude!.. i'm partial to the Deoscuri too...i'd read about him in modern poems long before i got into ancient coins...:) mithradates vi 002.JPG mithradates vi 004.JPG

Attached Files:

5. ominus1

..UPDATE:..i just went & bought a vintage copy of A.E. Housmans collected works..thanks, i needed that...:D ae housman.jpg

6. Lane Walker

Lane Walker Active Member

Please share one when you uncover a gem!

ominus1 likes this.
  7. ominus1

...thanks for posting and inspiring...:)

8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

The Houseman poem is Terence, this is stupid stuff. Here's the relevant conclusion:

"There was a king reigned in the East:
    There, when kings will sit to feast,
    They get their fill before they think
    With poisoned meat and poisoned drink.
    He gathered all the springs to birth
    From the many-venomed earth;
    First a little, thence to more,
    He sampled all her killing store;
    And easy, smiling, seasoned sound,
    Sate the king when healths went round.
    They put arsenic in his meat
    And stared aghast to watch him eat;
    They poured strychnine in his cup
    And shook to see him drink it up:
    They shook, they stared as white's their shirt:
    Them it was their poison hurt.

I tell the tale that I heard told.
    Mithridates, he died old.
    "

Phil Davis

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great writeup, @Lane Walker . Really fascinating man. One of the Ancient Greats!

MITHRADATES VI
    [​IMG]
    PONTOS Amisos 85-65 BCE Æ24 12.2g Mithradates VI as Perseus r Phrygian helmet Pegasos grazing l Malloy 33b HGC 7 239

10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

There is a decent biography out there, one that I read a couple years ago titled "The Poison King".

ominus1 likes this.
  11. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

From my NewStyle studies I quickly noted the battle between the Thompson high chronology and the Lewis Low chronology, which essentially was predicated on the coins which seemed to have a political symbology and/or names of well known people on the coins.
    With Thompson in NSCCA she discounted these coins and their implications whilst Lewis etc said that was rubbish! The low chronology has easily won out.
    The coins with political symbols are said to be Pegasos, Gorgon Head, Roma and Roma and Nike and finally and definitively Star between 2 crescents.
    By implication the magistrates Xenocles and Harmoxenos who minted the Roma coin also minted Coiled Snake and Dolphin & Trident thus must be Roman supporters.
    Aristion of the Pegasus issue is believed to be the same person killed by Sullan forces on the Acropolis who featured on the Pontic symboled Star between 2 crescents. Pegasos is believed to reference Mithradates-so is Gorgon Head.
    Roma, Roma and Nike says all and one of the magistrates on Roma & Nike is called Kleas which is the Greek form of the Roman name Quintus. A nice correspondence.
    Griffin is the symbol of Teos and the famous magistrate featured on this issue is the thief of Teos, Apellikon- well known as a Mithradatic supporter, book thief and crap general.
    And finally Star between 2 crescents not only having the Athenian version of 2 crescents ( why?) but the first magistrate is namked King Mithradates...QED!
    Some coins are obverse die linked some are not so it is a game to try and slot them in to a tight chronology and keeps me occupied for ages and ages.
    The poison king is um... sensationalist, Mithradates the great by Phillip Matysak is more down to earth.
    Now some coins eh?
    upload_2020-2-6_16-22-27.png
    upload_2020-2-6_16-23-17.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Alegandron, panzerman and Bing like this.
  12. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

A few more from my collection, sorry no Star & 2 Crescents

upload_2020-2-6_16-26-5.png
    upload_2020-2-6_16-27-54.png

upload_2020-2-6_16-29-22.png

Alegandron, panzerman and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted