Missouri quarter reverse looks like nickel...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

The luster or sheen is gone from the reverse of this quarter. The obverse is the same as the reverse (no luster)... the rim looks no different than other quarter rims. My question is, was there a step at the mint that missed putting the luster on? missouriqtrrev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think so.
    Your Quarter was minted in 2003.. something occurred between then and now for that non luster appearance. Most likely Environmental Damage.

Paul M. and dollar like this.
  4. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you paddyman98... I have had this quarter myself since 2003 (mixed qtr bag from mint). It has never been in circulation. Do you believe this would still happen?
    Thank you again...

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The temperature and humidity in your home can affect the surfaces of the coins in the bag.

Chris

Tyler Graton and dollar like this.
  6. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Got it... Thanks Chris and paddyman98

7. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Just a few questions.
    What offering did the mint put out with mixed quarters. Same year , different reverses ? Just curious.
    Also , if all coins in the bag were mint state and all stored in the same conditions , were there any others thus affected.
    Lastly, is you pic true to color ? Taking in the background and the surface the coin rests on , the pic looks desaturated.

8. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you Stoneman for your questions...

"What offering did the mint put out with mixed quarters. Same year , different reverses ? Just curious"
    By offering, do you mean price?.. if so, too much.
    When I receive my coins I go thru them and separate out the ones I believe are errors and place them in a separate container. While going thru the container this past week, I decided to ask the question about this one. My memory was that it was from the mixed bag (wrongfully as you can see) it was from a roll. mixed.jpg

"Also , if all coins in the bag were mint state and all stored in the same conditions , were there any others thus affected".

As you can see from the images below, I placed the quarter with the roll again to show you why I separated it. missouriqtr1.jpg missouriqtr2.jpg

"Lastly, is you pic true to color ? Taking in the background and the surface the coin rests on , the pic looks desaturated"

Yes, the picture was true color and not desaturated.

9. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

so are these them gold plated quarters or what's wrong with the color on them goldish copper looking quarters

10. dollar

dollar Junior Member

"so are these them gold plated quarters or what's wrong with the color on them goldish copper looking quarters"

Hi Tyler... not sure what you are asking me here, but my mistake, I took the photos of the quarters early morning and the sun was making them look gold. I took another photo just now to show you they are silver. My original question was why it had no luster and was satisfied with the answer. Hope this answers your question missouriqtra.jpg

Tyler Graton likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The bag says 1999-2000. And this is from 2003.
    If these quarters were all "new", then something seems to be off on that one.
    Did you weigh it? Is it close to 5.67 grams?

Tyler Graton likes this.
  12. Tyler Graton

Weigh it like Michael asked and let him know bout the weight of it. Who knows it could be something different

13. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Hi Michael, I'm not sure what you mean by something off... as I stated to Stoneman, when I posted the thread my memory was it was from the mixed bag. That was my error. It did come from a roll and I separated it at the time because it had no luster. I guess my biggest error was asking why it had no luster...

14. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you Tyler, I weighed it with my (not the best) scale and it weighs 5.7 grams.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

So it's not missing any metal or coating.
    Not sure about the minting process. I know they polish dies, but I don't think they polish individual business strike coins. Maybe it missed some stage where the coins are cleaned or something. I doubt it is worth more than a quarter.

16. Tyler Graton

Maybe it's a half proof half buisness strike? Michael?!

17. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you Michael... never thought it was worth more than a quarter, I was just curious as to why it had no luster and I am satisfied with your answers (environmental damage).

Draft saved Draft deleted