Mission to MARS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

1F540AA8-8BB1-4C19-B49E-B01E67C79278.jpeg

This summer, Earthlings have a new big date with Mars: three exploration missions will fly to the red planet, the ultimate frontier for humanity which fuels the hope, more and more credible, of to detect signs of a past life there, and, in the future, to set foot there. The cycle of celestial mechanics offers only one window of fire every 26 months, the distance between Mars and Earth being at this period shorter than usual, which makes the journey easier (34 million miles , about six months of travel !)
    Three countries are in the starting blocks. The United Arab Emirates will open the ball on July 15th by sending the first interplanetary Arab space probe in history, Al-Amal (Hope), to study the atmosphere of the planet. China will follow, which will also make its Martian baptism with Tianwen (Questions to Heaven), by sending a probe and a small remote-controlled robot, between July 20th and 25th. The most ambitious, the American Mars 2020, will set off on July 30 to land a vehicle designed to explore the surface of the planet, the “rover” Perseverance, marking the start of a pharaonic program of never before collected from 'samples, with a view to their return to Earth. A fourth escape route, Russian-European, was planned: ExoMars and its drilling robot, but it had to be postponed to 2022 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Since the 2000s and the discovery that liquid water had flowed on the surface, the attraction has increased, and Mars has become the priority of space exploration.
    Back on earth, for collectors like you and me, Mars makes us think about the Roman god of war, doesn't it ?

[​IMG]
    Capitolini Museum, Rome.

Even if he was viewed mostly as a destructive and destabilizing force, Mars symbolized military power as a way to secure peace, and was in fact a father (pater) of the Roman people. He was also known as the father of Romulus and Remus, had a love affair with Venus and was the son of Jupiter and Juno. He had the privilege to have a planet named in his honour, the red planet, an association made because of its red color, which suggests blood. Now it's time to show off :
    please post your favorite coins depicting the god of war, Mars.

Numerian
    MARS VICTOR Ric 386a
    Ex D.Smith
    30EEDCD1-7216-442B-92BA-FBFCA1EC8029.jpeg
    Tetricus
    Mars with spear & shield Ric 148
    E5E07D34-C4D8-4DB8-9711-71BC4B6D9DE9.jpeg
    Postumus
    Mars nude but Paludamentum Ric 93
    Ex Forvm
    DB7B455F-9EE3-4BC3-8E46-93EA543C55EA.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My favorite Martian:

My favorite Mars:

[​IMG]

Trajan, AD 98-117
    Roman AR denarius; 2.95 gm, 20 mm
    Rome, AD 114-117
    Obv: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC, laureate and draped bust, right
    Rev: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R, Mars walking right with spear and trophy
    Refs: RIC 337; BMCRE 536-40; Cohen 270; RCV --; Woytek 520v; Strack 230; BN 819.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My favorite Martian:
    [​IMG]

My favorite coin with Mars on the reverse:

Caracalla
    Denarius
    206 AD
    Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse: PONTIF TRP VIIII COS II, Mars in military dress standing left leaning on shield holding reversed spear
    RIC 83
    IMG-5457-removebg-preview.png

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh, HAIL yes! Loved that show!

My Mars rock is perhaps 4.6 Billion years old.
    [​IMG]

MARS

[​IMG]
    RR Anon Ca 240 BCE AR Heavy Quinarius Drachm 16mm 3.0g Rome Helmet Hd Mars r - Horse’s hd sickle Cr 25-2 Syd 25 RSC 34a R

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

And.. excellent Mars update, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! Great coins, and pics are always fun! Thanks for opening the Thread. Just read all about those missions yesterday.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

[​IMG]

Gordian III. AD 238-244. Interesting Reverse Inscription in the Accusative Case.

AR Antoninianus (4.11 gm). Struck 240-244 AD.

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: MARTEM PROPVGNATOREM, Mars walking right, holding transverse spear and shield.

Reference: RIC IV 147; Hunter 59; RSC 160; Sear (1988) 2442; Sear 8624.

propug.jpg

Like Elon Musk, I plan to die on Mars...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 11 others like this.
  9. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Trajan Denarius. 108 AD. RIC 114
    IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP, laureate head right / COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Mars walking left carrying Victory and trophy.
    trj53.jpg

Trajan Denarius. RIC 340
    IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GERM DAC PARTHICO, laureate draped bust right / PM TRP COS VI PP SPQR, Mars walking right, holding transverse spear and trophy.
    trj54.jpg

Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  10. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

Excellent topic. I recommend reading this while listening to Gustav Holst Mars Bringer of War.

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's Mars about to father a race of Martians.

Antoninus Pius - As Mars Rhea Silvia 2018.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE As. 11.34g, 27.8mm. Rome mint, AD 140 AD. RIC 694a. O: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, laureate head right. R: TR POT COS III SC, Mars right, holding spear and shield, descending through the air toward sleeping Rhea Silvia.

Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 11 others like this.
  12. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

coinboughtpontosmarssword.jpg
    Pontos Amisos Mithridates VI Mars/sword in sheath

Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  13. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Alegandron and Broucheion like this.
  14. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

This should play as humans first set foot on Mars...reminded me of
    Stravinsky...

Roman Collector likes this.
  15. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

My favourite Marcian...

[​IMG]

Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very interesting lineup. Imagine If we all came together what could be accomplished, I believe I'm dreaming though... Thanks for the post.

17. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Elon Musk is my favorite.... he is teaming up with NASA to launch the Mars mission flying by Venus for the boost then on to Mars to open
    Tesla Gigacity...

18. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's my favourite......
    SEV BLACK.jpg
    Severus Alexander. 222-235 AD. AR Denarius (2.89 gm, 20mm). Rome mint. Struck 228 AD.
    Obv.: IMP SEV ALE-XAND AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev.: PM TRPVII COSII PP , Mars standing right, holding shield and spear.
    RIC IV 83; BMCRE 503; RSC 337. aEF.

19. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Before he was Mars, he was Ares. In honor of the two moons of Mars (Phobos and Deimos) I have two coins to show:

upload_2020-7-17_12-54-7.png

upload_2020-7-17_12-54-22.png

- Broucheion

Bing, ominus1, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

There was another movie about the red planet... "Mission to Mars". It was my favorite. Anyway, thanks to all for the great info.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted