missing from the mail, Lansing MI, presumed stolen

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by atcarroll, Dec 31, 2018.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Recently i had an ebay order come up missing from the mail, it was last scanned "out for delivery" on 12/27/2018, and it never showed up. The staff at my local post office can't find it either. It may have been misdelivered, and might show up for sale somewhere. Here are seller's pics of the coin. s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Try contacting the post office again to see if they can open an investigation into the incident.

Best of luck. Happy new years.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. atcarroll

Already have. I don't have much faith in them, though. Figured it couldn't hurt to spread the word and get images of the coin out there.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Did the seller have to refund you?

6. atcarroll

not yet, I'm kind of waffling on that one. On one hand, i want what's mine, on the other hand, the seller put it in the mail in good faith and i'm not sure they should have to eat the cost.

Kentucky and davdo like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You are kind to even consider. I have to refund buyers every single time the USPS screws up, and if I happened to insure it, I have to jump thru hoops for months on end to try and get my money back. But hey, that's sort of what I signed up for as the seller.

As a side, I have been blessed a few times to have buyers re-pay for the coin when they received it months later (once it was even a year after the sale)! Just this year I refunded 2 buyers for lost packages that showed up some time later. They paid me for the coin, luckily.

8. atcarroll

If anybody should have to pay, it should be USPS, or the carrier on duty that day. It was only $149.99, losing it isn't going to make me go without any necessities, but it's the principle of the thing

9. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I had a package that showed delivered but I never got it. I went to the post office and they were able to show that it was delivered to a house 15 miles away, at a totally different address. The seller was partially in error because he used the incorrect zip code but the correct name and address. The post office delivered it the the zip code he used but to a totally random address. I was refunded by the seller. A few weeks later he let me know that he got the item back because of the honesty of the people who recieved it. They returned it the seller. This was a coin that I paid $150 for. I was able to purchase another from a different seller for slightly less so all worked out well. We never figured out why the post office ignored the name and address, including a different city, and just used the zip code and a random address.

davdo likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best wishes on this one. Your local PO can identify the carrier that took this out for delivery. I urge you to get a member of management at your delivery office and ask them to make every effort to locate this parcel, including talking to the carrier. The more time that passes allows for a lack of memory.

Also, you can file a complaint with a Postal Inspector. Contact the seller and make them aware of the problem. He they insured the parcel, they need to file a claim.

juris klavins likes this.
  11. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

I always spend the extra 3 bucks for signature confirmation when sending anything over 200$. I request an upgrade from the seller for the same. At least it didn't say it was delivered to your address. I sure hope it all works out for you.
    Nice coin BTW.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  12. atcarroll

I hope it works out, but there's a few different scenarios running through my mind. maybe the carrier stole it, or maybe it's lost in the machinery at the PO, or maybe it got misdelivered and the person it went to opened it and thought "my lucky day", or maybe (saddest of all scenarios) it got misdelivered and the person just threw it in the trash without opening it, and it'll end up in a landfill.

13. atcarroll

I'm going to request signature confirmation from sellers from now on, even if i have to pay more

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think the regular mail includes $50 insurance. If you can prove your claim, that's all they will give you. If you want more coverage, you have to buy it.

And honestly, I'd bet you had a porch pirate rather than suspecting the post office.

Try something like this:

Bambam8778 likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

You're better off with the insurance. Insurance over $500 is a signature. Priority Mail is covered by $50 insurance but not First Class Mail.

Postage rates go up soon. I think the effective date is Jan. 29, 2019.

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, could be a porch pirate! soapbox_smilie.gif Have you checked the link below to see if any of your neighbors have experienced porch pirates? Do your research, in fact if I were you I would print out the tracking number information and take that to your nearest post office. Be kind to them, they're human and we all make mistakes. ;) Go in there smiling and act like you're their old friend. :D good luck!

https://nextdoor.com/login/?

micbraun likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

While the carrier may have stolen it, that is unlikely. Not worth the risk for what happens if/when caught. The barcode was scanned out for delivery so not stuck in a machine.

More likely it was delivered without a delivery scan to the wrong address. Same street but different numbers or right numbers but wrong street. If it was a small parcel it may have fallen along the line of delivery or it may still be in the carriers bag or truck. Lots could have happened that is why I suggested what I did in my previous post.

18. atcarroll

I've gone to the post office, and sent an email to the postal inspector. I've also gone to all the coin shops in about a 20 mile radius and given them pics of the coin so they'd recognize it if it walks in.

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I appreciate hearing that. I like to believe people want to do the right thing.

fretboard likes this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As an aside.... Twobweeks ago I received a sizable check that one of my customers mailed to me in July! Of course it had long since been cancelled and replaced..... It sounds like you are being very proactive and I commend you for that. It is still recent enough that it may very likely show anytime. I hope it does. You deserve it for all the effort you have put in.

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Oh, sorry about that it couldn't have been a porch pirate as it hasn't even been delivered yet. :oops: All you can do is what you've already done, give it another couple few days or however much you can and open a case if you don't get it. I know the seller isn't going to be happy but either are you. You know the drill, good luck! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted