missing clad

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by igotchange, Feb 16, 2020.

1. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Any opinions helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your coin is plated, and not a clad coin. It has environmental damage.

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They are clad - brass over copper. Look at the edge. They're like 40% halves.

alurid likes this.
  5. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

The edge is the same copper looking

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  6. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Sacagawea Dollar Specifications. The Sacagawea Dollar introduced a new type of compositioncreated to have a distinctive golden color. The compositionconsists of a core of pure copper with an outer layer of manganese brass consisting of 77% copper, 12% zinc, 7% manganese and 4% nickel.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just Environmental Damage.
    Here are some Metal Detected examples from my collection with different stages of environmental damage
    20170715_133013.jpg 20170715_133024.jpg 20170715_133134.jpg 20170715_133209.jpg 20180520_172230-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    I_like_Morgans and Kevin Mader like this.
  8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

That's quite a few, Mr. Ed. I did a bunch of metal detecting when I was a kid and I don't recall ever finding a dollar (maybe a half?). But Susan B's were brand-new and not many folks carrying Ikes in their pockets back then. I'm wondering if this is more a modern phenomenon given the change in size.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

2000 was the first year of the Sac Dollar, and the Mint quickly had a problem with the finish turning a "puke" brownish-green color. It was determined that it was due to an improper rinse. Your coin looks a lot like those early coins. ~ Chris

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hmmm...reminds me of an old army drab plating I'd see on some fasteners. Puke brownish green hits the spot!

11. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

@paddyman98- Not to sway to far from the subject matter, just a slight detour.

I'm really surprised to learn you (or anyone) could find so many MD'ing. I don't believe I've ever really seen them in circulation to any great extent, no less someone losing them on the beach.

Maybe they were being used as a novelty when they first come out. Seems the mint has produced a few (probably billions) of business strike coins intended for circulation, that just aren't being used by the public.

BTW: Nice find with those dollars!

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's that color because of environmental toning.

13. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

It's called Parkerizing.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  14. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Well gentleman as always thank you for your expert knowledge.i guess then i can try to clean it. Oh and heres another mystery for you i got this susan b huntchback coin in the same lot

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted