Missing clad quarter--one side will and deep gray --other side shiny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Diogenes Diaz, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

Image_2020-04-01 23_01_40_038.JPG Image_2020-04-01 22_58_08_433.JPG 20200401_230908.jpg Image_2020-04-01 22_57_38_383.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

It looks like this one has been in circulation and probably was exposed to the environment . The clad coins can change to all types of different colors when out in the environment . I have some new ones that have toned to a copper color after they were left unprotected for a while.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

environmental damage.

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Clad quarters are composed of an outer layer of copper-nickel bonded to a core of pure copper. If it were missing a clad layer that side would be copper colored. From your photos both sides look normal.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If a clad layer was missing I would not expect the copper to tone a "deep grey". Als the weight is well within tolerance. I would expect a missing clad layer weight to be around 4.8 grams.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Environmental damage. A missing clad layer will be all copper colored.

8. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

I was just curious how one side stays shiny and looks AU and the other side is a VG at best?

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This can happen when a coin is laying on something for a long time , Like say the ground for example. Some folks digs them out of the ground with metal detectors and some of them are in horrible cond. If you find a missing clad layer coin it will have all copper on one side, not just toned a copper color

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted