Missing clad layer?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ddddd, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

These are two nickels I recently found in change and was wondering if they were missing their clad layers or just damaged.
    Thanks for the help!

1983D and 2005P

Attached Files:

• coin.jpg
      coin.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

What are the dates? Pictures kind of small. What clad layer is missing?

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

1983D and 2005P.........slightly larger pics.....Also, for the 1983D, it looks the same on the reverse and rim.

Attached Files:

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks like environmental damage to me.

6. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

not clad

Except for the 1942-45 wartime silver alloy, all nickels are coined on a 75% copper, 25% nickel planchet. Only post 1964 dimes, quarters, halves and (until 2000) dollars have clad planchets.
    Damage (environmental or other) would be my guess

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nickels don't have clad layers, so they can't lose one.

8. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

2002-D missing most of the obv = environmental ? Only a little island of Jefferson' face is still elevated, everything around that is missing and sunken.

Attached Files:

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One nickels don't had clad layers they are one solid alloy all the way through.

Two it likes like there is some kind of crud on the coin, not that anything is missing.

10. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Nickels can lose a portion due to a lamination error as they are not clad. Without a better picture of the first coin in the thread, i can't be sure what the issue is:)

The 2002 D is damaged. There is nothing missing. We call it environmental damage when some sort of chemical reaction has taken place. Reactions can occur from an assortment of things. Environmental damage is a catch-all for any type of damage along those lines.

Also, Sacagawea dollars, Presidential dollars etc. are a clad composition. They are a pure copper core with clad layers composed of a manganese , brass alloy. The post that indicates that post 2000 dollar coins are not clad is incorrect.

Thanks,
    Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted