Missing Clad Layer

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by louis a bencze, Jan 8, 2020.

1. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

over the course of 5 years or so these coins were found either roll hunting or in circ. 20200108_064446[3805].jpg 20200108_064458[3806].jpg 20200108_064519[3803].jpg 20200108_064524[3804].jpg 20200108_064637[3801].jpg 20200108_064651[3802].jpg I got the dimes from Safeway(on separate occasions) and the quarter from a bank wrapped roll.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You have shown us 3 different coins correct?

The first Dime is not missing clad layers. It looks to be just Improperly Annealed. Missing clad usuall only occurs on one side of a clad coin.

Second Dime looks to be Partial Missing Clad Layer on the Reverse.

Third is a great example of Missing Clad layer on one side.

- Mr. Ed
    (Specializing in collecting mint errors since 1985)

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Love that quarter!! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

spirityoda likes this.
  5. louis a bencze

yes 3 coins. I guess I don't understand what improper annealing is, the coin appears to be copper colored. i assumed that's what it would look like without its clad layers

6. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

The Red color on the quarter is beautiful, and it is on the reverse side. Nice!

7. paddyman98

It has the clad layers.. Not missing.
    Improper annealing is due to excessive heat, prolonged exposure to intense heat, or excessive oxygen in annealing affects the color of the clad.

8. paddyman98

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Would you mind taking a close-up of the quarter and crop out all of the unnecessary background? Use the "Full Image" option when you post it. I'd really like to see a good close-up of it. ~ TIA, Chris

10. louis a bencze

I can do that saturday, as I am on my way to pick up my son from a military deployment now

11. paddyman98

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Must be me, but both sides of the quarter appear silver colored to me.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Because the first one weighs 2.2 it's not missing a layer, as
    that would make it weigh 1.8 or 1.9.
    The second one looks like a real partial clad missing.
    And the quarter looks good too.

15. louis a bencze

20200109_180052[3815].jpg 20200109_180126[3814].jpg Chris I hope these might be alittle better pics. although the color doesnt stand out

16. bruce rolff

bruce rolff New Member

Hi folks, newbie here. I have collected a few coins over the years. My brother got me interested when I was just a child. I have a dime that looks somewhat similar to the dime in the op where part of the silver cladding is missing and it looks like it was struck that way. Like the blank was partly copper on top. Do these coins have any value? I’ve got to locate it but if it might be worth something I could post it here for any advice. What do you guys think?

17. paddyman98

They do have a small premium but you definitely have to show it to better attibute it!

18. bruce rolff

bruce rolff New Member

Thank you for your response! I definitely will scan it and post it here. I have way to many projects on my hands at the moment so it might take me a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted