missing a lot

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by phil Foli, Sep 29, 2020.

1. phil Foli

phil Foli Member

found this penny last night and i just dont know how to explain it the obverse is missing a lot of numbers and letters . the reverse looks great . could this be a mint error and if so how would you label it . thanks for your help missing 1.jpg missing 2.jpg

DEA and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Worn Die Strike. Obverse Die only.
    Grease filled die. Compacted grease hardens and will not allow the letters and numbers to form properly.
    Neat but nothing major.

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Conversation piece face value only. Better luck next time.

6. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Lawrence "Dutch" Keen Active Member

That's the thrill of coin collecting, the investigation of a coin when you think you found a "rare" one. I have a 1964 Roosevelt dime that to me looks like it is a clad version instead of silver, but I can't convince myself of it, even though the weight tells me it is silver. My tests don't help much either. Too bad, but what would I do with it if it actually was a clad dime?

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Could be of the above, or a fracture part of the die fell off. A very thin part, like a lamination, is a possibility. But, grease fill is a great answer too.

8. paddyman98

I suggest you start your own unique thread.
    Share some pictures with us. We can try to help out!

9. paddyman98

It that were the case then it would look more like a Cud. But no it is not a Cud.

10. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

11. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Thanks, but taking a picture of the edge is proving to be difficult, and I'll have to switch machines to take a picture to send. Working on it though.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's from a worn, grease filled Die.

13. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Thanks for the clarification.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A cud is when a portion of the die breaks off at the edge. If it is retained and you just see where the break occurred, it is a "retained" cud. If it breaks off it kind of looks like metallic bubble gum on the edge.[​IMG]

15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's what a cow chews all day long.

john65999 likes this.
  16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't really look for error coins, but I do wonder... Does the mint have any quality control? Does anyone actually look at the coins to make sure they meet the supposed standards the Mint is suppose to have? I also wonder what type of collector looks at every coin to check to see how many leaves are on a coin or if the date is minted correctly. I'm sorry, but that part of collecting.. I just don't get. However, I do respect your drive to find error coins.

17. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Now, I should have known that word, but not its relationship to a coin!

John Burgess likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In some defense of the mints, do you realize how many coins they produce!!!

John Burgess likes this.
  19. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well you asked..... sorry....

"The term cud was first used by Mort Goodman in his writings on mint errors in the 1960s. He first used the term "design cud."
    What was once a collector's term has now been accepted by the minting industry and the numismatic field for the type of mint error it describes. The concept is not that different from a cow's cud that is ruminated from one stomach to another. In coining the ruminated material is metal from the mass of the blank filling the cavity broken away from the edge of the die, or from the collar.".

This website coin talk is cited for the images where I found this info, so possible someone on here many moons ago wrote the article about it and did the research.

20. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Yes, I asked and I appreciate the clarification.

21. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Sometimes it's hard to make a comment, and others seem to be so [use your own word] highly educated than others. I have an open mind so I can learn, even if I am an older collector.

Draft saved Draft deleted