"Missed it By That Much"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So even though I posted a top 2020 thread, I did have many coins that I wanted to include but didn't for various reasons, I.E. lack of interest from others, condition, bad photo & so on.

So below is a selection of some more favorites of 2020 but:

[​IMG]

I have owned a few MT follis over the years but for one reason or another I parted with them, usually, it was bronze disease forming. Luckily this one hasn't had any form & even better it's one of the best condition ones I have owned & scarcer too.

[​IMG]
    Maurice Tiberius (582 - 602 A.D. )
    Æ Follis
    O: D N mAVRC TIber PP AV, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, globus cruciger in right hand, shield in left hand.
    R: Large M, ANNO left and date right, cross above, Γ below, CON in exergue. Dated RY 9 (590/1)
    Constantinople mint
    11.86g
    32.6mm
    SBCV 494

Ex. Ed Waddell (11/1981)

As with the coin above, I have owned a few Constantine the Great coins but they always seemed to be a hole filler. I parted with one I had for a long time this year during a mass purging of ancients & I saw this one freshly listed by @Victor_Clark & pounced on it.

I know there are better & more historical coins of him but something about this one just clicked & I am satisfied to have this be my "1" coin of Constantine.

[​IMG]
    Constantine the Great (307 - 337 A.D.)
    Billon centenionalis
    O: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right.
    R: BEATA TRANQVILLITAS (blessed tranquility), globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX, •STR and crescent in exergue.
    Treveri (Trier) mint, 323 A.D
    3.32g
    19mm
    RIC VII Trier 389

For a long time, I have wanted a follis of Tiberius II Constantine but price or condition always kept me from getting one. This year I was able to scratch him off my list thanks to Ken Dorney listing one in a condition & price I was happy with.

[​IMG]
    Tiberius II Constantine, (578 - 582 A.D.)

Æ Follis
    O: D M TIB CONSTANT P P, Crowned bust of Tiberius facing wearing consular robes and holding mappa and eagle tipped scepter.
    R: Large M, ANNO on left, cross above, GI on right, NIKOB in exergue.
    13.43g
    30mm
    Nicomedia Mint
    DOC 30b, Sear 441

I admit I really enjoy my Alexandrian Tets but didn't list too many in my top thread. This coin probably should have been added. He's a figure I have long wanted in a Tet form and just like above, Mr. Dorney listed it at a great price & I quickly grabbed it when it was fresh.

[​IMG]
    Valerian II, (256 - 258 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: P LIK KOR OVALERIANOC KAIC CEB, Draped and cuirassed bust of Valerian right.
    R: Alexandria wearing mural crown standing left holding bust of Serapis and scepter, L E (Year 5) across fields.
    10.35g
    22mm
    Emmett 3763 // Milne 3981

Published on wildwinds!

I don't specialize in Flavians but I have no problems adding ones I just like and this Denarius below fell into that category. And as I mentioned in the first post on the coin, it matched a Tetradrachm I own so I felt it needed to come home to a big brother.

[​IMG]
    Domitian (81 - 96 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head of Domitian right.
    R: IVPPITER CONSERVATOR, eagle standing facing, head left, on thunderbolt, wings spread.
    Rome Mint, 82-83 A.D.
    3.18g
    19mm
    RIC II.1 144

This reverse type commemorates the events during the civil war of 69 A.D. Upon the arrival of the flavian troops in Italy, Sabinus (the elder brother of Vespasian) was forced to seek refuge in the Capitoline fortress (the sanctuary of Jupiter). He also brought in Domitian, his nephew. Eventually the fortress was set on fire and Sabinus captured and executed. Domitian managed to escape and found shelter at one of his father's clients. Later in that place he built a temple for Jupiter Conservator (= the Protector). Source: Tacitus, Histories, the 3rd book, section LXXIV : "Domitianus.....ac potiente rerum patre, disiecto aeditui contubernio, modicum sacellum Iovi Conservatori aramque posuit casus suos in marmore expressam)

zumbly, singig, DonnaML and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ok, I think this coin qualifies as my least “replied” to coin of the year and I assume it’s due to many condition snobs.
    I mainly didn’t include it in my top thread due to the condition and lack of interest. But this coin is special in many ways as it is very rare & a coin even @curtislclay doesn’t own & wanted to acquire from me.

How many Geta drachms are posted on here let alone this year type? I guess this coin will always be one it’s so ugly but very few would be proud to own except a certain group.

[​IMG]

Geta (209 - 211 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    Cappadocia, Caesarea-Eusebia
    O: AY K Π CEΠTI ΓETAC AVΓ Laureate bust of Geta right.
    O: MHTPO KAICAP NEO, Mt. Argaeus surmounted by star.“ET IQ” = year 19 = 210/11
    3.04g
    16mm
    Sydenham/Malloy, p. 153, 498a, Ganschow 649c; Henseler 986; Berlin 18224071

This coin made the almost list for the simple fact left facing Severas are a bit scarce but this coin was pretty bad looking when I bought it & the result below was after I cleaned it the best I could. Sadly I didn’t have before pics.

This coin also never had it’s own thread made, just a “Saturday night” post.

[​IMG]
    Otacilia Severa (244 - 249 A.D.)
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    AR tetradrachm
    O: MAP ΩTAKIΛ CEOYHPAN CEB Draped bust of Otacilia Severa to left, wearing stephane, set on crescent.
    R: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC YΠA TO Γ / ANTIOXIA / S C Eagle with spread wings, standing facing, with it's head and tail to right, holding wreath in beak.
    10.51g
    25mm
    McAlee 1093. Prieur 381

This year I acquired many Parthian coins. They don’t get much respect on here but this particular one was one of my favorites to acquire. Great winning price, desirable type & crusty.

[​IMG]
    Vonones I (8 - 12 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    O:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΟΝΩΝΗΣ, bust of king left, tapering beard, short hair; border of dots; semi-circular Greek legend.
    R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ / ΟΝΩΝΗΣ / ΝΕΙΚΗΣΑΣ / ΑΡΤΑΒΑΝΟΝ, Nike walking right; in right hand, palm; in front below palm monogram 26.
    Ecbatana Mint
    3.81g
    19mm
    Sellwood 60.5

I owned a Hostilian ant for many years but was always on the lookout for something better. Harlan had one from a BOB sale that I was drawn too. The chipped edge may be off-putting, but the portrait, weight, and Circ. Cameo look all won it for me. It’s also better in hand.

[​IMG]
    Hostilian (250 - 251 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: C VALENS HOSTIL MES QVINTVS N C Bust radiate, draped right.
    R: PRINCIPI IVV - ENTVTIS Hostilian standing l. holding standard and spear.
    Rome Mint
    4.16g
    22mm
    RIC-181d (S), C-34 (4 Fr.)

Ex. Jonathan Kern, ANA Show, 19 March 1998.
    Ex. Harlan J Berk Buy or Bid Sale, #213, Lot 312

Cucumbor, zumbly, singig and 19 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice Mat. Condition is not a huge factor for me. But, there are a lot of cool designs and devices I like. I do not have a Mt. Argaeus, but I am drawn to them. And am fascinated by everyone ELSE's fascination with them... Your VII Egypt is a very nice coin, and the Vonones is very interesting with the Victory vs. the ubiquitous Archer tending bow reverse. All are cool and interesting to me!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some really interesting coins amongst your acquisitions.

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I like all of them. :)
    Now, about the Geta. You can send it to me and I will put it in a place of honor. ;)

7. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Great additions to your collection, congratulations.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Only if I get another in better condition. :D:cool:;)

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Interesting coins!

It's a very nice coin of Domitian, I really like the reverse. That is what attracted to my specimen, which however will not be part of my end year list (which I will post on a later date).

16.3.png

PeteB, lordmarcovan, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

:nailbiting:

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

All great coins Mat:)

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Mat, you remember my first (and let’s hope only) experience with bronze disease, in what I ruefully refer to as “The Curse of the Two Caligulas”.

I love that Domitian with the eagle, BTW.

PS- if the likes of Curtis Clay wanted that Mount Argaeus piece, I am suitably impressed. I suppose I resemble that remark about “condition snobs”. I reckon I am one. Because while I’m not a big-budget collector by any means, condition and eye appeal are paramount to me, since I lack the scholarly credentials most of y’all have. And thus I usually have only the vaguest notions about rarity and varieties and so on.

I’m a “magpie” collector. If it’s pretty, I go for it, and usually do the learning later. Condition, eye appeal, and style are the things I pick up on. In the more specialized stuff, I’m way out of my depth.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That’s a beautiful example!

Limes likes this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

@lordmarcovan Oh, I remember it as if it was yesterday. And to think I almost bought it at one time. Still weird how it contracted it so quickly. Wonder if the new owner was able to stop it or if it's now dust in the wind.....

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice coins here amongst your "misses", Mat. The Valerian II is excellent, and I like the rare Mt Argaeus as well.

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some nice stuff here that would make it in the top 10 of many of us I guess.
    I once owned a rare Plautilla drachm, featuring Mount Argaeus to, that after travelling a bit is now in Curtis Clay's collection, which is, I think, the best place for it

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted