Missed an auction ...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Dec 6, 2020.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

... due to some technical issues with my PC, that seem to appear quite often when I need to bid live.
    I noticed this lot a while ago and it seemed good.
    [​IMG]

What I was after were the Saloninus as Augustus coins (SPES PVBLICA), and the Divo Valeriano CONSECRATIO, knowing that these types are somewhat rare.
    Is this correct?
    Pre-bids were low and it seemed the price would be a bargain but going live, it rose a bit.
    Including taxes and shipping, the price would have been around 150 EUR.
    Was that a bargain, a good price or a fair price?
    Being a collector for a long time (and losing a lot of auctions), I learned never to be sorry about those; 3rd century is not my main area, also financially speaking it wasn't the best time for an auction, but I want to know if this was a big miss.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

All the Saloninus coins in this lot are of him as Caesar, not Augustus, so you might have misread them. With that having been said, while none of the coins here are very rare, there are a few scarce ones and they all appear to be in good conditions, so I think that 25 EUR each would have been a pretty good price.

4. ambr0zie

No, I was just not paying attention when writing the initial post.
    The coins weren't attributed by this auction house, they tend to forget this part.
    They were indeed in good condition, I liked even the Salonina one with the small flan.

Well, tough luck, next time.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

None of the coins are unobtainable elsewhere. There will be more auctions.

DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  6. ambr0zie

Yep, agreed.
    Anyway 3rd century is not my first choice.
    I prefer 1st and 2nd century and I would gladly prefer to spend 150 EUR on 2 or 3 coins from that period rather than the ones I mentioned.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

You expect some sort a discount when you buy a lot of coins compared to what they would sell for individually. Don't forget, too, the 18% or so buyer's premium. With that and shipping, you're looking at about 30 EUR per coin. That's a good price for those coins, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's fairly typical, and you should be able to find similar deals in the future. No reason to despair.

DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  8. ambr0zie

The hammer was 110 EUR, I approximated to 150, including taxes and shipping.
    Anyway just wanted to confirm, it was a good deal but not a fantastic one.

Draft saved Draft deleted