??Miss-print one sided dime?? value??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Joey16366, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

Hey guys, I was working at a grocery store in 03 and opened a brand new roll of dimes and noticed a flat surface and found out there was a one sided dime in there. Im not sure how this could have happend wheter they were changing the die or what. But one side is the head side of the dime in perfect condition and the flip side is a blank. This is a real coin and not ground or altered. I have had the dime in a bag for 5 years and now am interested in what kind of value this coin is? And is there anyone who is interested in a coin like this? If anyone could give me any information that would be great! Thanks!

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

You do have an error coin but can you post pictures of it so someone can determine what type of error it is. Yes there are people interested in these type of coins and can be very valueable.

4. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

I will try and get a picture asap.. i let my college professor take it to his coin club to see if anyone there could give me some information on it. But as far as a description its just a regular 2003 dime one side looks perfectly normal..the head side.. and the other is a blank pallat.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Joey:
    Pictures would certainly help.
    As for changing the die theory, not likely.
    More likely as a result of a situation where two planchets went into the die for striking and one was struck with a 'heads' (obverse) and the other with a 'tails' (reverse).

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

treashunt
    Based on that theory wouldn't the coin also be broadstruck as only the bottom planchet would be in the collar?

Richard

7. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

Like I said I will get pictures as soon as I can, being this situation, what kind of value would this coin be?

8. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

Im sorry im new to this stuff, im not familirar with the term "broadstruck", what does that mean?

9. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

And obviously you guys seem to have come across this situation before?.. Is this a rare occurance? I have been tryring to do some research on it and havent really come across to much. So im guessing yes?

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

It could be from a capped die.
    Joey---if it is either a Broadstrike, or a capped die error, while both are worth more than a dime, you aren't going to be able to retire ;)

Speedy

enamel7 likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Joey:
    Ask away any questions, that is how ya learn.

As far as rare?
    No.
    Unusual, yes.

Value, lets see the pictures first.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The upper one would be a partial collar strike because it would not fully be in the coining chamber , but the lower one oul not be a broadstrike or a partial collar strike.

13. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

By the way welcome to Coin Talk. The coin club should be able to give you an anwer on what type of error it is.

capthank likes this.
  14. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

Sorry for the wait guys, and sorry if the pictures arent that good, i had to borrow my friends camera for this.. hope these are good enough to help out some!

15. Treashunt

Joey:
    Sorry, but the reverse is so dark that I (for one) can't see anything.
    Try using a better light.

16. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

You have an in-collar uniface strike. Two planchets were stacked within the collar. Your coin is worth at least $200.

enamel7, capthank and John Burgess like this.
  17. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

How would i go about selling something like this?

18. MNcollector

MNcollector Member

You can list it on Ebay or list it here in the open forum and see if someone here wants to purchase it. Ebay should give you a good idea of value if you look at auctions like it that have ended recently and sold. Good luck! Definitely a cool find.

19. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

Is this something that will go up in value over time? or is it a pretty standerd price?

20. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

A few years ago you could pick these up for between $50 and $75. So the price has more than doubled. I even vaguely recall one selling for close to $300. Whether the price will increase further, I can't say. It's been many months since the last in-collar uniface strike appeared on eBay.

21. Joey16366

Joey16366 New Member

I took new pictures, tell me if this is better lighting

Draft saved Draft deleted