misprinted dollar bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by shalhevet, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

RickieB is an honest collector who knows what he is talking about. Almost everyone here values his knowledge and expertise.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

I've seen error notes where the black seal is askew but the serial numbers and green seal are not.

Under the circumstances, I'd say it's a genuine error. As to "what it's worth" that's always indeterminate until somebody tries to sell and somebody offers to buy. Being an unusual trio as it is, I'd say $200 wouldn't be unreasonable.

4. shalhevet

shalhevet New Member

Thanks. In a perfect world we could trust everyone. I know these bills are authentic. My mother works as a teller in a bank. She came across these bills in the "new money". She thought the bill was interesting so kept it for a number of years. I recently decided to go through my own coin collection. In talking to her over the phone she told me about some bills that she had come across. A few days ago she gave them to me to look over. And that's why I came here. I have not altered any of these bills. Like I said, this is new money from the bank. Chances of it being altered are slim to none.

5. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

RickieB is one of the most trust worthy people on this forum. without a doubt he would not steer you in the wrong direction :thumb:

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

+1

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Numbers description of how this could happen is correct, I only have a problem witha small part of it.

The sheet of paper has a margin that goes all the way around the printed area. From where those 5's are printed I would think the missing lower 5's would be printed on the margin area of the sheet and not on the backing board. I don't have my sheet anymore to check the width of the bottom margin. If the margin was narrow enough though it would result in the 5's being printed on the backer board and then being offset onto the 85 note. That would validate all of Numbers description. Anyone have an uncut sheet they can check the margin widths on?

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Shalhevet, No one was attacking your or your mother's credibility regarding this note. You have to remember all we have to go by is the information you provide through your description and by the image you posted. There are a lot of notes that do get altered and find their way into circulation.

If you look at ebay or any of the other auction sites, there are always "error" notes listed which are fakes but to the novice are exciting rarities.

Bringing them to a forum like Coin Talk where there are knowledgeable experts and collectors was the right thing to do because they can verify the authenticity to a degree.

So, don't feel like you're being raked across the coals, when asked certain questions. It's just to eliminate any possibility of fakery, not on your part but from someone who may have doctored the notes and put them into circulation.

So far everything seems good. RickieB will be able to give you a yes or no on it.

Here's one example of a faked note that has appeared on ebay:

[​IMG]

9. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

That note is an impossibility that anyone who knows how they are printed can explain. The OP's note, while a little odd, is possible, because the black ink of the third printing is applied at the same time, but using different components, from the green ink. Those components can become desynchronized.

10. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The full 32-subject sheet has a fair amount of selvage, yes, but that gets trimmed off at the same time the sheet is cut in half, before it goes through the serialling operation. The COPE presses apply the serial numbers and seals to 16-subject half-sheets, so the 32-subject uncut sheets that the BEP sells to collectors are printed on a different press specifically for that purpose.

11. ikandiggit

Was just using it as an extreme example of what has been tried to be passed as an error note.

12. lettow

lettow Senior Member

13. ikandiggit

Interesting! Different suffix on the second note.

14. BMoscato

BMoscato ANA# R-1181086

Did we ever figure out what the deal is with this bill? Did it go out for grading?

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I know I'm about a week behind here...but I have been a member of CT for several years and owe much of my knowledge and interest in paper currency to Rickie. He is a top notch honest individual and I have no concerns vouching for him. He will not steer you wrong, I guarantee it.

As for the error, this is one area (of many) of paper currency that I am not that knowledgeable about...so I can't really add anything there. But, I am very interested in seeing what comes out of this.

16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is also a different series.

Draft saved Draft deleted