Misprinted $50 Bill... is it valuable?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by PBT58, Feb 27, 2017.

1. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Hi all.
    I joined this forum to find some info on what appears to be a misprinted $50 Bill.
    I came upon this bill along with some old $2 bills while cleaning out my mom's old house.

I cannot find anything like it on ebay, so I joined this site to get some opinions.
    Any ideas if this bill has any value above and beyond $50?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wow! I have never seen anything like that!
    @SteveInTampa and @mpcusa
    might be the best sources to reply on this!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Has it been authenticated? I don't get a good feeling about this note.

Chris

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Is that genuine ?

Looks like a ghost print or double print on most of the note, but the color of the ink used for the Treasury Seal and serial numbers looks fishy to me.

6. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

That image makes my head hurt. Very interesting find, I'd imagine it would be worth a pretty penny! If I were you, I'd send it off to be graded.

7. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Thank you for your replies.
    I have not shown the bill to anybody.

I found this (along with some $2 bills and a $1 Silver Certificate) with my Mom's papers while moving her to a assisted living facility.

My mom was a bank teller back in the 1960's and 1970's and that is how she got the bill. She noticed it was different so she exchanged it with her own money.

How do I authenticate it?

Curtisimo and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

My error book has a section entitled: Standard Multiple Impressions, which show printings similar to yours. Notes may or may not have the same Plate Numbers on the second printing. These can be worth a nice chunk of change if authentic.

9. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

I'd recommend these two sites for paper grading. It costs a bit, but it is definitely worth it for an unusual bill like yours.

https://www.pmgnotes.com/
    http://www.pcgscurrency.com/index.html

10. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Thanks everyone.
    Will do some research and make some calls!

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is a very cool $50!! Your Mom had a good eye and keen sense to keep it all these years. I'd be very interested in following this thread if you will keep us up to date on what you find out.

12. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Yes, I will keep the forum posted!

13. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Update for those who are interested...

Following the advice I received on another forum, I reached out to Heritage Auctions for input on this $50 note.

They thought the the note could possibly be worth $3,500 to $5,500 at auction.
    They advised that if I choose to sell the note via auction, they would take care of having it graded and then enter it into their upcoming auction.

So long story short...this $50 Note will be up for auction at the Chicago CSNS Auction April 26 - May 2

Here is a link to the note on the Heritage Auctions site...

https://currency.ha.com/itm/fr-2119...on-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=1|0

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Good one Mom.

15. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

looks superimposed, just only if i have the glasses =/

besides that, nice snag there ( if its real )

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

^^^^
    Yes. But the serial number is not doubled. It looks real. Heritage thinks so too. If we accept the story from the OP as true, it's absolutely legit.

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fantastic!! Good luck, I hope you get a good price!!

18. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Yes, its real. Confirmed by PMG.
    In fact, Heritage Auctions has sold 2 similar "Error notes" from the same sheet.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  19. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

I know the story sounds fantastic... but it is true.

My Mom was a bank teller in NYC back in the 1970's.
    From time to time people would come in with money that they could not get shop keepers to accept. She would check with the Bank Manager if the bills were legit and give the customer her own new currency in exchange.

With this bill the customer thought it was counterfeit.
    She also has some "large size" $5 Bills from 1907 and 1914 that she traded for.

kiddchamp7, Michael K and djaeon like this.
  20. djaeon

djaeon Member

I don't see many of these "Is it valuable?" posts actually turn out to be something special or valuable. Congratulations to you and your mom!

furham and hotwheelsearl like this.
  21. PBT58

PBT58 New Member

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted