Misleading information 1977 Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Spiritawahili, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Screenshot_20190718-202351.png Screenshot_20190718-202415.png Screenshot_20190718-202445.png

I was looking up a 1977 Philadelphia mint Brown penny. The photo on the left the shows the top of the page. The photo in the center shows the details of the 1977 penny. At the bottom of the center photo when you click on... Auction record... The image on the right appears.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

We takin' about a 'cent' or a medal?

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

With Coin Facts, the auction results can be incorrectly linked. I've run into that problem too (especially with world coins). One just has to click on the result and verify for themselves what the sale was (don't automatically trust the number).

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe the original post is showing that when you look up a 1977 Lincoln cent, the auction record shows up as $7,735. When you click on the actual item though, you see that the linked auction is not a 1977 cent but rather a Medal.

This type of error is seen throughout Coin Facts, so one just has to be diligent when reviewing the information.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Anyone who pays that much moola, for an otherwise common cent, needs to have their head examined........

7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't know CoinFacts featured world coins. How does one access that page?

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm with you on that!

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

By Coin Facts I was referring more to the population and price numbers.

So this general page:
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/worldcoins

And this sample page for an Austrian Thaler Restrike:
    https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/austria/1780-sf-thaler-modern-restrike-dcam/976?sn=389059&g=67&h=

....so I was looking at a page similar to the one above, and all the auction results were for the wrong coins

SorenCoins likes this.
  10. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Woah that's awesome! I've never seen that page for foreign coins, thanks for showing me! Very useful... Weird how it links incorrectly though.

ddddd likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Many times it is ok, but then you have instances like this 2012 1 oz Gold Mexican coin (I was actually looking it up for a question someone on here asked). The only sale is $25, which would be unbelievable for a gold oz. When clicking on the sale though, one can see it is actually a silver coin (and not the gold).

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/onza-1981-date/2012-mo-onza-gold/5428?sn=514920&h=pop

I'm guessing the sales are linked automatically through key words and the filters sometimes miss a distinction like gold vs silver (or fractional sizes). And sometimes it's the eBay listing that had the wrong description, but the computer can't tell (without someone manually checking it over).

12. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

It seems very interesting to me that a company like PCGS, which in my mind is a top-notch company, hasn't yet cured the issue of false information in their price guide. If I had a website that showed pricing of coins... those prices would have to be 100% accurate. I wouldn't care if it took a person every single day to edit that information and make sure it was accurate I would pay that person's salary. The two posts that I uploaded to coin. Is not the only misinformation on PCGS price guide. There are a couple more I found. Maybe they just haven't got to it yet. Wishful thinking maybe.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's just not worth it to them.

I commend you for wanting accurate info and wanting to have someone employed to check it. However, the incentive isn't there to fix all of these mistakes. Very few people complain and those that do barely move the bottom line; but having an employee (or several) checking this every day would cost more than any benefit that the goodwill would bring in.

14. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

A person could say it's a Scorpio thing. Scorpio wants whatever it is interested in in life to be accurate. LOL, I picture scenarios like this... So here it is on a beautiful spring morning and a 10 year old child just recently got into coin collecting. This child and his dad are spending great times together which will be remembered for a lifetime. And the whole reason why the father brought up coin collecting to his son was not only to spend quality time together, but to help Ensure the child's well-being in a monetary world in the future. So here it is they both have gone through several coin rolls they got from the bank and about three-quarters of the way through an entire box they find the one they are interested in and they know it has value, but they don't know how much value. So they go to PCGS. Com and investigate. The young child being so open sees the price of is new acquired coin. And you can guess the emotional feeling that's a child has upon seeing the price of his new coin. And then the bomb hits.
    Jeff bezos of amazon.com many years ago took every penny he had down to 1% and invested that 99% profit back into the company. It sure doesn't seem like I need to say anymore. Just look at him now.

ddddd likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

All I'll add is that one should not rely on any one guide for complete pricing info.
    Pricing does tend to require research and usually involves checking multiple sources to get a complete picture.

16. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

LOL, you are absolutely correct. For anybody new to coin collecting I would suggest you do massive amounts of research. There is so much information that is not updated and therefore null and void. A person can get on YouTube and watch a video of a specific coin and if you don't look at the date of when that video was published you can have all kinds of false information. So this is what I do. I have a coin I think I might like to sell. It's in great shape and all that. I first normally go to PCGS. I find the coin in the price guide and make note of when that coin was sold. Then I go to heritage auctions and go through the archives and note the dates and the prices. Then I go to Stack's Bowers and do the same thing. Then finally, I go to eBay for the up-to-date version of that coin in this moment.

ddddd likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can also call them and let them know.. There is nothing we can do about it.

18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Sometimes a coin sells as part of a lot, let’s say at Heritage as an example. The price guide will show the lot’s price and a link to the auction. When you see a price five times higher than expected, it turns out to be a group of five instead. So definitely follow the links and make sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted