Misaligned Serial Number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by yakpoo, Nov 28, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I got this Dollar bill in change today and noticed that the upper-right serial number has a digit misaligned. I don't recall ever seeing a misaligned serial number before. Is this a common error?

Note-Error.jpg

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Please don't quote me or anything, but I believe misaligned digits are quite common and carry very little to no premium unless the misalignment is much more drastic. However, @SteveInTampa should have a more concrete answer for you.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and yakpoo like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Iv'e seen them a number ( no pun intended) of times . Mostly on the last digit though .

midas1 and yakpoo like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is a very minor misprint. Collectors call this a stuck digit or a gas pump error. The low serial number occurs because the numbers on the serial number roller gets stuck or jammed. For those of us who remember the non-digital gas displays, we can see why this misprint is sometimes called a gas pump error.

These are neat to see, but they aren’t rare.

6. SensibleSal66

Cool Ed, Learn something everyday with you . o_O

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Thanks!

I also noticed that the "E" is slightly elevated relative to the "9"...as compared to the other serial number. Silly me...I would have thought the Bureau of Engraving would be more precise than an analog gas pump.

Is this an error they would replace with a Star sheet if they found it? ...or is this so minor, they don't bother?

8. SensibleSal66

They would let it go unless it jammed things up .

yakpoo likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

As already mentioned, having a single digit higher than the rest is fairly common. As the printing process takes place, the equipment that prints the serial number automatically advances the digits to make every serial number different. Generally, and certainly in the condition your note is in, there is no added value.

yakpoo likes this.
  10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I’ve read that a stuck digit or turned digit occurs because of clogging of the numbering wheel on the cylinder that imprints the serial number. I wouldn’t call it common and I wouldn’t call it rare. It’s somewhere in the middle. The OP’s example would be considered minor.

yakpoo and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  11. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I handle cash weekly and never seen that. Couldn't be as common as said here ;)

yakpoo likes this.
  12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It seems like something that would be common, but like you, I look at a lot of bills and don't recall seeing it before.

13. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

This type of error is a staple on eBay. You can see them in various degrees of misalignment.

14. Shayne marrero

Shayne marrero New Member

Yeah i have one i just found in my change better question is it rare when a 1 dollar bill has the same number on the back that it does the front?

15. Shayne marrero

I just got 1 in my change today but ive been studying bills for about 2 years now and its the first ive seen 1. But i have another question is it rare when the number on the reverse side matches the number that is at the end of the one that has the seal on it it is (fw E 48) and 48 is the number on the back too

16. SensibleSal66

Hello Shayne! Welcome to CT.
    Please start your own thread with good Pics. Front and back.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s very common but fun to find and keep. It’s basically called a stuck digit.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I discovered an upside-down set of serial numbers once. Both sets of numbers were completely upside-down. In fact, the whole dollar bill was upside-down. Is that rare? Is it worth anything?

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You need to turn it over. You’re holding it upside down. Silly horse. Lol

20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Depends on which side of the checkout counter you're on.

21. Shayne marrero

Draft saved Draft deleted