Mis-aligned Die Strike and?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Youngcoin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everyone I found this dime this weekend and it is mildly off centered maybe 5%? Also there is somthing quite odd on the back behind possible die scratches or pmd which I believe may be a die clash? (Looks as if there I the top of a second torch). Thanks and here it is!

20171105_154904.jpg 20171105_154925.jpg 20171105_154957.jpg 20171105_154959.jpg 20171105_155005.jpg 20171105_155053.jpg 20171105_155056.jpg 20171105_155058.jpg

20171105_154924.jpg

(Also sorry for bad pictures)

Thanks,
    Jacob

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I say its slightly Broadstruck. But no to Die Clash.

Youngcoin likes this.
  4. Youngcoin

Thank you @paddyman98 are those scratches PMD? Also those marks behind the scratches are raised, die chips?

Thanks,
    Jacob

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What I find unusual about this coin is that the O/C strike on the obverse does not line up with where the O/C strike on the reverse should be. Maybe it is because the die was rotated. I don't know.

I don't think there is a clash on the reverse, but I do see evidence of heavy die polishing to the left of the torch.

Chris

tommyc03, Youngcoin and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Youngcoin

Thanks Chris so this has been broadstruck and was struck with polished dies? Do either of you know what the raised marks are behind the polished die marks?

Thanks,
    Jacob

7. cpm9ball

The raised marks are due to the die polishing.

Chris

Youngcoin likes this.
  8. Youngcoin

Oh, ok so the raised marks are due to die polishing and the scratches are too? Or different I'm assuming that their both from the die polishing correct?

Thanks,
    Jacob

9. cpm9ball

I don't see any scratches. Are we talking about the same area between the torch and STATES? The only thing in that area is die polishing marks. If there were scratches, they would be visible on the torch and the letters.

Chris

Youngcoin likes this.
  10. Youngcoin

Yea that's the area those raised lines, under these there are small "blobs" I'm assuming just still die polishing marks.

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe those marks that look like scratches are actually striations due to die deterioration.

Youngcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted