Mintmark question: She-wolf & twins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Steven Michael Gardner, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Steven Michael Gardner

Steven Michael Gardner Well-Known Member

Can those who can, please make out the Mintmark below the She-wolf&
    twins for me, and let me know where this coin was minted...?

I don't believe all coins with Roma were minted in Rome were they?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Looks like... TR dot P .... Trier mint

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

No. They were minted at all mints that were open and actively producing bronze coins at the time.

galba68 likes this.
  5. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Nice pictures

coinsareus10 and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice, much nicer than mine. I can't determine the mint either. Help would be appreciated. Romulus and Remus Obv.jpg Romulus and Remus Rev.jpg

7. Kvwilson94

Kvwilson94 New Member

Can someone message me .. I'm new and want to post about my inherited coins I know nothing about. Can someone help me with how to post?

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is my Trier mint Roma commem...

Roma:

[​IMG]
    Rome VRBS ROMA commem 330-331 CE Æ reduced centenionalis, 16mm, 2.5g, 12h; Trier mint, CE 330-331 She-wolf RIC VII 529

Andres2, galba68, Bing and 3 others like this.
  9. Spaniard

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

Spaniard likes this.
  11. Inspector43

@Spaniard I think I found it.
    Thessalonica
    RIC VII 187v
    (X) on wolf

Urbs Roma Commemorative AE3. 330-333 AD. VRBS ROMA, helmeted bust of Roma left wearing imperial mantle / wolf standing left, suckling twins Romulus and Remus, two stars above, (X) a wheel? on wolf's shoulder. Mintmark SMTSE. RIC VII Thessalonica 187; Sear 16516.
    Mine is worn too much to see the X or Wheel very clear on the wolf. But, everything else looks right.

Thanks for the help.

Spaniard likes this.
  12. Spaniard

@Inspector43...Good shout, as to whether there is a symbol on the shoulder of the wolf, your the better judge as you have the coin in hand, either way its definetly RIC VII Thessalonica #187
    @SMG The op coin looks like it has a star on the shoulder of the wolf so would make it a RICVII Trier #547 star

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ah!

This is my Thessalonika mint to compare mint marks...

[​IMG]
    RI Commem Urbs Roma AE Follis Thessalonika 330-333 CE She-Wolf Romulus-Remus stars S 16516R

Bing, Spaniard and Johndakerftw like this.
  14. Inspector43

Thanks @Spaniard this is my first attempt at identification. I have many more coins to check and you put me on a good track.

Spaniard likes this.
  15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. I was going to send a PM to you but don't trust sending it as it says your profile page is unavailable. Curious as to why it's unavailable! (Maybe it's because you're new and they haven't put it up yet). It's fairly simple to start a thread. At the top of this thread (and the bottom) click on Coin Forums. Click on the forum of your choice. On the lower right side is a blue box that says "start a new post". Click on this and follow directions.

16. Steven Michael Gardner

Steven Michael Gardner Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your interest & comments:
    Wildwinds indicates the is the Teier Mint:
    I found this on the internet, apparently "Teier" was/is a city in the Germany region thus this coin is a city commemorative of Teier if my logic is sound??

The historical record describes the Roman Empire subduing the Treveri in the 1st century bc and establishing Augusta Treverorum about 16 bc.[10] The name distinguished it from the empire's many other cities honoring the first emperor Augustus. The city later became the capital of the province of Belgic Gaul; after the Diocletian Reforms, it became the capital of the prefecture of the Gauls, overseeing much of the Western Roman Empire. In the 4th century, Trier was one of the largest cities in the Roman Empire with a population around 75,000 and perhaps as much as 100,000.
    The Franks seized Trier from Roman administration in 459. In 870, it became part of Eastern Francia, which developed into the Holy Roman Empire.

Attached Files:

Alegandron likes this.
  17. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The coin is a city commemorative from Trier, but it celebrates the founding of Rome. Coins of this type were minted in all the imperial mints in operation at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted