Mintage And Lifespan Of Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Alaska Dude, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Alaska Dude

Alaska Dude New Member

If coins last 30 to 50 years than why do we need to make billions of them every year, they end up just sitting in jars around the house.

Kentucky, Sallent and Autoturf like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

If they don't, Meow will eventually hoard them all, and they will run out.

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Do the math. If there are 60 billion quarters in circulation and they last only 30 years then about 3% are lost each year and a couple billion are needed just to replace this loss.

Total demand fluctuates over time as usage expands and contracts. During good times more quarters get left in change jars for longer periods.

5. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

They are under the seats of cars?

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  6. MeowtheKitty

Oh, Meow once visited a car junk yard, and pretty much ever single wreck had some amount of coinage. So Meow bought a heater core, and left with that, along with a big pawful of coins.

7. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

TEll them you looking for the rite one, when you leave and your pants are falling down, they will be like,, Hey, hold it!!!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, ya can do like the mint did back in the 60's and blame it on coin collectors :rolleyes:

9. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

No, that's what ashtrays are for now! :hilarious::p:eek:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. MeowtheKitty

Oh yes, but cars of late don't have them. The cupholder in Meow's Stang has a bunch of coins in it since there is no ashtray. Meow's Lightning's cupholder was also overflowing with change. The L even came with a coin dispenser in the center console. So cars and coins always seem to find a way to be together.

11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Some coins go into circulation accidentally long after they were minted. I have two incidents of that happening that I can remember:

1) 2 years ago I found a XF Indian Head penny in my pocket change. I think the date was 1866. Since I don't collect modern coins, I gave the coin to a child in my son's cub scout troop who collects modern coins. For an Indian Head penny in great condition to be in circulation in 2017, it must have been put back into circulation by accident or ignorance.

2) A former girlfriend looking for change for the tolls once grabbed an 1865 3 cent piece from my desk and threw it in the machine at a toll booth. I found out about it after the fact when I couldn't find my coin and I asked her about it. She said she thought it was 10 cents. She was an ex soon after that :facepalm:, but to be fair that's not why we broke up. That was about 10 years ago when I still collected modern coins.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You all are forgetting the house remodeling. We've seen the photos of making chairs, a new floor or a toilet seat made of Cents.

13. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

So meowthekitty, the big “Paw Full” of coins you (took) from the junk yard cars cost you (How Much)

George Bryan Sparlin likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They have to make them BECAUSE they are just sitting around in jars. Especially cents. Todays coins have such low purchasing power that it is not worth peoples effort to carry them and use them. A dime back in the early sixties had the purchasing power of nearly $1.50 today. If the dimes in your pocket were worth $1.50 instead would you just toss them in a jar and not use them? Today most people probably end their day with one to two dollars in change in their pocket. If it suddenly was equal to $15 to $30 would you toss them aside and forget about them?

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Remember also that there were years where the US didn't make certain denominations of coins. Was there a year that there were no coins made in the US at all?

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, but other than half dollars and dollars, that was long ago. Look at your Red Book, you'll go back a long ways before you find anything from a cent to a quarter that wasn't minted.

None that I know of. Even before the US existed coins were being minted here - just not US coins.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Due to a fire at the mint in 1816 only cents were produced.

Attached Files:

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Only cents RIGHT? Nickels MAYBE

19. Cheech9712

Mine fall between front seats and lost forever

Autoturf likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Lol

21. Cheech9712

Your car has an ashtray. Wow i hear these new cars come with heat and stuff. I hear power windows too. The bus has none of that stuff. I can only dream

George Bryan Sparlin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted