Mint Price Increases - Ouch!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mjs1447, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Mjs1447

Mjs1447 aficionado

Just noticed that prices for 2020 Proof Eagles and 5 ounces are up over 15%. That’s the way to lure in new collectors.

ripple and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I am still getting some generic sets from the mint; proof sets, mint sets, etc. on subscription. I think I will cancel the remaining subscriptions as a New Years resolution. I will continue to concentrate on organizing and upgrading my 70+ year collection. I have a bunch of duplicates from years past. I will try to use them to trade for upgrade stuff. Too many new coins and products coming from the mint. Happy New Year to everyone.

LakeEffect and ripple like this.
  4. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Gold and silver spot prices are really going up, hence the increase in anything made with those metals.
    Gary in Washington

5. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Silver is going up, so they pretty much have to raise the prices to compensate. Nothing more to it than that.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The mint adjusts prices throughout the year based on spot prices. The prices are going up because the metals are going up:

[​IMG]

ripple, Inspector43 and Troodon like this.
  7. Inspector43

For What It's Worth - I have been a regular at the U S Mint since 1959. I just de-activated all my subscriptions. Too many new products every month. No more new stuff for me. 60 years was enough.

GSDykes, LakeEffect and ernie11 like this.
  8. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

If the Mint makes something I like, I buy it; if they make something I don't like, I don't. I've never felt a compulsion to buy everything they produce. And I agree they produce too many different things these days, but if they make something I decide I like, I'm still buying it. The Mint is not a sports team; I don't feel I owe them my support whether they're winning or losing lol. I judge everything they release on a case by case basis, same with anything I buy.

LakeEffect, NSP and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

With the reverse change coming for the 2021 silver eagle (as well as the gold eagles) anyone see any particular added interest for the last-of-their kind 2020 editions?

10. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Based on my observations, first of the new tends to generate a lot more interest than last of the old. There's nothing particularly interesting or iconic about the old designs. After all, that's why they're changing them.

-jeffB and Inspector43 like this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have to ask, do you feel you OWE a sports team your support? Whether they are winning or losing. And if so WHY do you owe it to them? What did they do for you?

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Do the prices drop when the value of gold and silver falls?

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

14. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I've been a mint customer since the 1980's when the modern commemoratives started. I've bought a lot of them over the last 37 years but I can't keep up any more. Too many and too much for my budget. I'm still subscribed for an annual silver proof set for now.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Inspector43

Amen. Then look at what we paid for them and what they are worth now. I'm glad I didn't expect a profit.

16. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I was just using it for the sake of illustration, since a lot of "sports fans" do indeed feel that way about their favorite team. For the most part, I'm not particularly interested in sports. At least not much more than I am about the weather. It's entertaining to witness the spectacle sometimes, but I've not felt the urge to dedicate myself to a given sports team, at least not since I was about 14. It's hard for me to work up enthusiasm for how well a team does when I have no influence over, or stake in, the outcome.

(Side note: It's always been amusing to me how a fan of a team will always say "WE won" but "THEY lost." I'm hardly the first person to point that out I'm sure.)

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Inspector43

I don't get them anymore. But, I think there will be a collector market for them. But, not a marked up market for resale.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, I've known many, many such such people, and I've never understood them.

Draft saved Draft deleted