Mint packaging...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, May 20, 2016.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Does anyone besides me think the mint should offer a commemorative in both the full presentation case/packaging that it comes in now, AND just the coin in a capsule (for a reduced price)?

I for one don't keep the mint's packaging (which I admit is usually very nice) when I submit a coin for grading. What parts of it that can be recycled goes in the recycle bin, and the rest in the trash.

I bought an already graded four piece Kennedy half set a while back, and they sent me the mint packaging as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Atarian

That's an absurd idea! How else do you expect the Mint to soak you for unnecessary costs? Do you want them to raise the prices for their coins?

Does anyone remember the American Legacy Set? You paid $135 for two commems and the clad proof set. Breaking down the cost, it meant that the packaging amounted to $50 or so.

Chris

4. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Why not sell it on ebay? I've seen some like the Hawaii P atb 5oz go for around $100.

5. onecenter

onecenter Member

That was an option back in the 1990s and very few took advantage of just the coin and capsule purchase alternative.

Draft saved Draft deleted